Needing feed back on WSM

jibnast

So I'm at the point where the 270 WSM needs a new barrel. So what I'm looking at doing is going 6.5 270 or 7mm all in WSM I'm trying to see if anyone else is running one with a 18 inch barrel. The reason the short barrel is getting the rifle down to 6 pounds with optics. Thank you in advance.

I don't personally have a 18" barreled wsm but I have a ABolt 270 wsm with 23" barrel. I use it for my walk around N. Central PA and out west mountain gun. Its pretty dam light already. I don't see the your return being enough to justify turning your gun into a loud fire breathing monster. Meaning that's a short distance to burn slower powders which work well in that round. So by the time you switch to faster powders I think you'll end up with a 260 win, 270 win or 280rem at best.
All that being said I have Ruger RSI 270 with 16" barrel and I started out with my goto 270 loads. Yikes was it loud and a handful. I switched to faster powders and slower fps to make it pleasant and follow up shots possible. But its not a long range type gun I use it for hunting areas where shots are short and fast.
Just my experience,
Gene

I already have a 280 AI built on a 700 action with a 26" Bartlien barrel. So I'm covered for precision hunting. My train of thought is a 6 pound timber rifle or back up high country rifle shooting 2900 FPS would be a great alternative.

6.5 Remington Magnum was resigned with a short barrel although it does a lot better with a longer one and is a factory round. I have a 6.5 Rem Mag on a 40X with a Rem Varmint contour at 26 inches, much lighter that the original 40X barrel.

A #1 Bartlein Win Featherweight barrel at 23 inches weighs 2 pounds. Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Contours

Good Luck

Jerry

While I agree with the thinking about the 6.5 Remington Mag as a cartridge, the major drawback is with the brass supply. It has been on the 'seasonal' list at Remington for the last several years so the supply line is empty. Those of us who have brass are unwilling to part with it until a new supply hits the pipeline.

Sure you can make it from any standard belted magnum case but it's still a nuisance. Since it's a hunting rifle, 20 cases or so should last a lifetime so the time investment would be minimal.

You can get away with this idea by using any of the cartridges you name combined with a heavier bullet and a couple of powders. The .270 WSM with a 150 gr. Nosler Partition over a nearly full load of H-100V will get you your velocity target but will certainly get your attention at the buttstock.

The H-100V is a perfect match with the Nosler 130 gr. BT. This would probably be my choice as the recoil would be reduced. Other combinations exist but you have to decide on how many to test.

Regards.

So I'm at the point where the 270 WSM needs a new barrel. So what I'm looking at doing is going 6.5 270 or 7mm all in WSM I'm trying to see if anyone else is running one with a 18 inch barrel. The reason the short barrel is getting the rifle down to 6 pounds with optics. Thank you in advance.

IIWY, I'd stick with .270 WSM and re-barrel it with 1:8" and propel the Matrix 165/175, 150 LRAB, and when the 170 Berger VLD (hopefully this fall) and you're golden.

Good luck!

If you want something that will hit hard, bust through thick brush, and will probably work fine with a short barrel, look into something like a .325 WSM. You can still use your .270 WSM brass, you'll just have to expand the necks out a good ways to fit the .323 (8mm) bullets.

What do you use the rifle for? to get at gun down to 5.5 to 6.5 lbs I am guessing Just a light carry. Do you hunt long range? why not just go with a ultra light conture fluted 24-28 " barrel to get the needed burn duration needed for the wsm case. just by going with a ultra light fluted 24" and a light kevlar stock you should be around the 6.5 lbs in a short action adl design. what action are you using? as far as the caliber if your stuck in the swm. ( a great cartrage by the way) just use the 270 wsm 6.5 is to much work. my question with that short of barrel why not the 7mm-08 performance wont be that much diffrence from the WSM with that short of a barrel

18" short mag? Good grief....

A Kimber Montana with a 24" tube will go 7# with optics.

considering you would at times would use it for a pack in high country rifle. You would at times be taking long shots. With that I would go with the 6.5 wsm. better bc in a 140 grain bullet than the 270 and more over bore that will get you higher velocities than the 270 wsm is a shorter barrel. should be around 3000 fps plus depending on powder choice. I build light weight rifles its one of my main line of rifle products. as low as 5.0 lbs with scope W/26" barrels. ultra light weight rifles are not for everyone and have a large list of issues. So the short barrel in a 6.5 is a good choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.