Needed Energy for killing.... is it a myth??

I have read every post on this thread and there are many ideas by many different people that are very interesting and seem legitimate to the reasoning mind with some experience. Then there is many posts with no real world killing experience based solely on "physical theory" which has no place in "life or death" facts. In all fairness and actuality, the only people that can answer this question with any authority or reality is a person that has taken Hundreds if not thousands of game animals of various body compositions and sizes with various calibers shooting various weight bullets at various distances and velocities. Anything else is "assumption" based on theory, mathematics, limited experience, or armchair reading of too many hunting writers.

Africa and Australia are literally the only place left on this world where a person has any opportunity to hunt, cull, kill anywhere near the number of animals it takes to gain the knowledge and experience it requires to answer this question. If there are any forum members here from those continents with the hunting experience to answer this question then these are the people that we should be listening to. otherwise, what has been said here is possibly right, possibly wrong, mostly theory, and based on "little" experience killing animals. By that I mean less than, 300-500 animals taken with the above stipulations.

I will grant that This experience is Virtually impossible to gain now days but it was commonplace years ago, with hunters killing thousands of animals a YEAR with whatever ammunition and rifles wee available to them. Today Australia with the culling of donkeys, camels, hogs, feral cattle etc, may be the only place to gain this experience. Also the long range guys here like Shawn, Kirby, Broz (I know there are more forgive me) that make it a point to take double digit numbers of animals at extreme range with multiple bullets and serious experience with depleted velocities on MANY animals can also give us great info. The guy that ha taken a cow elk at 970 one time need not apply.

The people that have done this sort of killing are the only people that can give a legitimate answer to tho question. I would hang on every word someone possessing these experiences that posted here. I myself have taken double digit numbers of cape buffalo, and nearly that number of Bull elephant, as well as hunted all manner of sheep, deer and goats of this world. I say this not to brag but to state that I consider my hunting experoence to be too meager to answer this question with enough experiene to be valid. Basically MO is that of you agave not killed it with everything you can kill it with under every circumstance.....you can't answer this question.

Well put and to the point. All we can do is try to do the best we can. Along the way learn as much as we can and apply it with our limited experience. We may be able to make a semi educated assumption but it is still an assumption. Thank you for your knowledge and experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.