Need to order Brux .260 barrel tomorrow

.30US

I'm interested in re-barreling a Remington 40X .308 that I picked up well used a few years ago. I want to order a Brux barrel before Monday's price increase. I want a rifle for F-class matches and hunting in .260 Remington. From the reading I have done, 26"-28" looks to be ideal. Which would you recommend? What contour would be sufficient for matches, but keep my rifle (without scope, base, and rings) to about 10-12lbs. or so with a McMillan A-5 or similar stock? The #5 contour used by Long Range Rifles, Inc. on their 7 RUM looks about like what I would like to end up with, though I will probably go with the interrupted fluting as I hear it can save a 1/2 lb. Is there much benefit to a Palma contour over the #5, aside from being able to get longer than 26"? Would a 1:8 twist be ideal? Thanks.

40X to be the project:
40x2.jpg

Last edited:
How long for f-class? 600 or 1000 yards?

My hunting 260 is a #6 23" long and it makes 600 yards with ease, and when all is right keeps them under 2" for 5 shots

If your shooting 1000 yards and still want a hunting rifle I would go 26" light palma,
I will go lighter than my #6 next time.

1,000 yards, Sir. Thanks for your input.

How would the fluted medium palma compare to your #6 for weight? Or, would I be better going without fluting on the light palma in order to increase rigidity (though, at the trade-off of surface area) for higher volume firing?

Last edited:
Decide which bullet first

140-142 go with the 1-8

130s go with the 1-8.5

120s the 1-9

I am rebarreling my FTR 308 to a switch barrel 260 AI with the 1-8.5 to shoot either the Berger or JLK 130s (BC is .620)

BH

1,000 yards, Sir. Thanks for your input.

How would the fluted medium palma compare to your #6 for weight? Or, would I be better going without fluting on the light palma in order to increase rigidity (though, at the trade-off of surface area) for higher volume firing?

The fluted med palma would be slightly lighter than my #6 at the same length.
I think a fluted med palma and a noflute light palma would be so close in stiffness that surface area may be the deciding factor.

I run 8 twist in the 260 like BH and it shoots the 123 scenars as well as the 140 class bullets.

Most guys are going with 8.5 twist in 6.5x284 f-class guns and having good results with the 140 class bullets, due to faster velocities.

I went with a fluted, light Palma for a finished lenght of 26" and a 1:8.5 twist is what was recommended. Is it worth calling and changing the twist and/or contour?

I did go ahead and email them and request a change to the standard Palma contour with 1:8 twist. It just gives me a better feeling...

It arrived last week; stainless, 26", standard Palma, interrupted fluting, 1:8", .260.
P1090970.jpg

P1090972.jpg

Thanks. My bolt for my Model 70 is back, but I haven't been home long enough to get it in the rifle and on paper for barrel break-in...only have less than 40 days home this calendar year. Hopefully, I can get some rounds down range in the next few days. The Savage 7mm project hasn't moved forward, yet. Not sure I can save my last barrel after the rust got it so bad, so I may just try and find an economical replacement.

DANG THATS A LONG TIME ON THE ROAD. Well, keep us posted. And good luck with your F-class project as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts