Need to get a good backpack

Looks like Kuiu and Kifaru are the way to go. It is just hard for me to tell the size online and know how big a pack I really need. Something that will be big enough for white tail, elk, mule, hunts but can be made smaller for coyote hunting, etc would be awesome as well.

Let me be a little more specific. I have yet to do any 3-5 day hunts where I need a massive pack. However a good size pack is nice for when I have to backpack pretty far into some canyons. I usually only do "day" trips. Maybe that will help decide on a good size.

It looks like the Kuiu Ultra Packs come with the carbon frame. They are quite a bit cheaper than having to buy the Icon frame and Icon packs ($600-$1000). I think the Ultra pack would probably suit me well?

Last edited:
It looks like the Kuiu Ultra Packs come with the carbon frame. They are quite a bit cheaper than having to buy the Icon frame and Icon packs ($600-$1000). I think the Ultra pack would probably suit me well?

Okay, first off, I have never put on a KUIU pack---that will be my disclaimer. Now, I'll probably ruffle some feathers here but others (I know personally) have had problems with the KUIU packs--not to mention various design changes over the last several years. I think someone else mentioned it but buying a pack on line is kind of like shoes---you'll never know until you actually try it on. So all one can do is spend some time researching what others think and you'll have to draw your own conclusions. I urge you to check out rokslide.com as that site is dedicated to backcountry hunting and there is a gazillion years of experience on that site.

Randy

P.S.---I have had: Eberlestock, mystery ranch, dana design, Gregory, sierra designs, black creeks, kelty, crooked horn, rocky mountain, coleman peak 1, cabelas, horn hunter, mountainsmith, osprey, ula, nimrod and I'm sure a few others that I have forgot. These are what I've used in about 45 years of hunting the backcountry.

NONE of the above packs carries and hunts like a Kifaru or a Stone Glacier. This of course, is just my opinion and what works for me.

I appreciate your help! I totally agree. I will have to see if there are any stores here in AZ that carry Kifaru or Kuiu. I have heard a few bad things about Kuiu too. I know Kifaru is good stuff, so I may look more into them.

Kifaru pack plus the frame is going to be $500+ easy..if not more. That is the only downside.

The Kifaru Nomad looks like it would be a good pack for my needs. No frame, but I could buy the frame down the road.

I appreciate your help! I totally agree. I will have to see if there are any stores here in AZ that carry Kifaru or Kuiu. I have heard a few bad things about Kuiu too. I know Kifaru is good stuff, so I may look more into them.

Kifaru pack plus the frame is going to be $500+ easy..if not more. That is the only downside.

Oh I hear you. But you will never regret that purchase. Also, if you have any questions whatsoever, you can always call Kurt at Stone Glacier or Aron Syder or Joe at Kifaru. These guys know there stuff and would be more than willing to help you.

Randy

One thing you need to realize about asking a gear question in a forum, is that people are going to automatically tell you to buy the most expensive stuff. I'm not saying it isn't warranted, because it almost always is. But to me, there is a lot of great quality gear that will last you for years, and wont kill your pocket book. I am a gear head, and spend a lot of time researching products...but with that being said, I will always spend the money on the memory of a killer hunt over a piece of gear.

I would say for the type of hunting you want to do, you want to have a pack atleast 5000 cu in and greater. The thing I didnt like about Eblerstocks, and a lot of other packs, is that the rifle hangs below the bottom of the pack. It makes it impossible to simply sit down and rest without having to take off your pack. Also, you cant ride a dirt bike with one of those. I also hate having a pack that has the rifle set to one side or another.

There are a lot of great packs in that $500 and less range. The one I ended up going with was the Tenzing 5000. If you are taller, I would look at the 6000. I liked the pack because it has a lot of compartmentalized storage, an adjustable torso system and detachable fanny pack. The other cool thing is that the meat compartment is not in the main section of the pack which allows you to keep the meat closer to your body, so its not just one big lump sitting in the bottom. You can adjust how low your rifle or bow will set below the bottom, and per Tenzings lead product designer, ..max payload, people are carrying upwards of 200lbs."

Everything I could want in a pack and can handle more weight than I ever would want to carry at once. Price tag is under $400.

Spend the money and get a Kuiu pack with carbon fiber frame. You won't be sorry. I've ran eberlestocks and there is no comparison to Kuiu.

+1. I have an Ebrelstock for day trips but no way it compares to a KUIU. KUIU is the best and the most pricey too.

So all one can do is spend some time researching what others think and you'll have to draw your own conclusions. I urge you to check out rokslide.com as that site is dedicated to backcountry hunting and there is a gazillion years of experience on that site.

Randy

Rokslide is a great site and has lots of good information, but I wouldn't recommend anyone going there for unbiased pack advise, especially with the guys running Rokslide having their associations with pack manufacturers.

And yes, Kuiu has had their share of frame problems, but to insinuate that the other makes are immune from this is laughable if that was the intent.

Personally, I changed from an Eberlestock to a Kuiu Icon a few years ago and it was the best move I've ever made. It fits me awesome and has carried a number of 100+ lb loads of meat and gear and handled it all extremely well.

The Kifaru Nomad seems like a decent option. I can always get the frame at a later time. The Kuiu Ultra 3000 is another option. It really comes down to how much pack do I really need.

The Nomad IS NOT a stand alone pack, it must be used with a frame.

If you plan to haul out meat (say 40lbs+) plus, there is really no comparison to the capabilities of the Kifaru/Stone Glacier/Kuiu/Mystery Ranch (w/Oneiros Valley upgrades).

Ouch...that is getting pricey then. I guess I will figure it out. Truth be told, I hunt deer or elk once a year (if I get drawn), so spending that kind of money for something that is used once a year is a bit steep.

I appreciate all the help though and I will evaluate the options.

Rokslide is a great site and has lots of good information, but I wouldn't recommend anyone going there for unbiased pack advise, especially with the guys running Rokslide having their associations with pack manufacturers.

And yes, Kuiu has had their share of frame problems, but to insinuate that the other makes are immune from this is laughable if that was the intent.

Personally, I changed from an Eberlestock to a Kuiu Icon a few years ago and it was the best move I've ever made. It fits me awesome and has carried a number of 100+ lb loads of meat and gear and handled it all extremely well.

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you reference Rokslide. It is a great site and there are a lot of gear reviews there that are not by the folks who run the site. All one can do is provide information and it is up to the individual to analyze it.
And for the record, I didn't insinuate anything----there have been problems with KUIU. I'm glad it works for you.

Randy

Both Eberlestock and Mystery Ranch (formerly Dana Designs) packs are way too heavy. Ye Gods! 6 to 7 lbs. EMPTY pack weight. My old Dana Designs Terraplane is 7 lbs. 5 oz.

Look at Granite Gear packs, even their tactical packs. Decent toughness, relatively comfortable and much lighter. Or have Zimmerbuilt custom make you a pack.

I use a badlands sacrifice, its very tough(like mine rolled of a 100 ft cliff and come out unscathed) and I have carried ruffly 85 lb in it comfortably plus it only cost me 250$. It only has 3,500 cubic in, of storage but, I can fit four days worth of gear and food with room to spare.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts