Need to Buy a Nice Factory Rifle for a Fundraiser....Which one

I have done quite a few gun raffles tikka rifles have always done well. Lots of gun raffles around here do savages, idk how well they do but I know it talks me out of buying a ticket really quick

Something with name recognition and history will get more attention and more bidders... just look at how much money folks spend on those pretty cowboy remakes. I'm always hearing from one of my neighbors how he would like to own a Winchester or a Henry or a Remington... or maybe a Ruger or a Savage depending on what movie he watched over the weekend. Lol - and pick a caliber they can have some fun shooting at 100 yds or less with minimal to moderately low recoil. I dunno... you have to "target" the audience you expect to have. If you think there will be a few serious hunter or wanna be hunter types then maybe up it a bit... .270 Win.? Good Luck and let us know how it goes...

So we have been doing fundraisers for my sons class's graduation night. We throw a big party all night to keep them safe and give them an alternative rather than drinking and partying. So the question is what rifle....maker.....model......caliber? Opinions welcome. $2500 range.
300 or 257 WEATHERBY.....everyone would like to have one....!

In your price range for something that would attract a lot of attention is a Knights Armament SR-15. Similar would be a Daniel Defense AR-15.

I still tend to think a Winchester Model 70 and a Benelli shotgun are better options for "Walter Mitty" hunters to impulse purchase a raffle ticket though.

So we have been doing fundraisers for my sons class's graduation night. We throw a big party all night to keep them safe and give them an alternative rather than drinking and partying. So the question is what rifle....maker.....model......caliber? Opinions welcome. $2500 range.

Do you expect most of the ticket sales to happen during the event? Just wondering how important the eye candy will be ...

I would pick a brand/model that most of the potential ticket buyers will recognize.

I would also consider if a scoped rifle with ammunition would sell more tickets than a bare rifle?

Personally, I think a rifle with a nice scope and a factory test target along with that ammunition would sell more tickets ... but it really depends on the audience.

Are you inviting your LRH brothers from North Texas?

The comments about name recognition, caliber, model, finish adversely affecting bidder interest is real. For instance, a muzzle loader option would turn off those not into muzzle loaders. A 30-06 or 6.5CM might lose interest from those that already have several in those calibers....or don't want another new caliber to find ammo/load for. I passed overload on 6.5CM, 308WIN and 300WM long ago......couldn;t give me one....well, maybe if it were a gift. :) :) :) An AR5.56 might bow out from one who has numerous higher end ARs in 5.56. But, they might be interested in a 6.5 Grendal, 6mm ARC or 224 Valkyrie....other maybe not due to ammo cost/availability. Only the buyer knows what he would get foolish about. Someone might not want another gun (yeah there those of us out here), but would go crazy over an ammo option today. One man's trash is another man's treasure. I've bought/shoot in the field/blind numerous Ducks Unlimited guns from winners that win, then have no use for/refuse to shoot the "special" guns and want the value out of them. Many won't bid/buy chances because they don't want a "safe queen," won't shoot that "pretty boy" Suggest being creative and offering several rifle/shotgun/pistol options from which the winner may choose. Work with multiple suppliers to get the best price on contingency of winner's choice. Make clear that due to buyer being given selection option, the rifle will be have to be "custom" ordered and may take some time pending availability. The more unusual/limited or even popular the selection, the longer the potential wait. Consider multiple cost option levels (maybe multiple guns at elevated revenue levels) contingent upon total chances sold. Possibly for higher cost rifles, make those selections available contingent upon a minimum number of chances sold per value level...and hence the total revenue to cover the higher cost. Even consider an option that probably would be out of the expected revenue range to spark really high interest and potential to reach higher revenue. Maybe consider a "thermometer of chances sold" to peak interest, showing various options at the higher "temperature/chances" levels. and maybe get buyers to encourage their friends to buy chances to reach the higher premium options. Being creative can be interesting. One needs to stimulate the interest. Get buyers invested in the hope. Create a feeding frenzy!!! Advertisers send a ****-load of literature in their mailings to get buyers invested/interested in the offer. Offering more than one option will get buyers to invest time and hence thought into the decision to buy process, an important component in the purchase decision. Work with multiple suppliers to develop more creative options. Make the drawing and option selction a big event. Better options if winner is present.....or winner must be present....ala at a BBQ dinner raising even more revenue. Fools and their money are soon parted. Help them be foolish.... part ways. :) :) :) These options may not fit your needs, energy to be creative, work the event. But, others reading may find interest in being creative for their fund raisers. Apologize for the diarrhea of the keyboard. Just a really, really old guy's ponderings.

Last edited:
In line with the post above by "Pro2A", you might want to talk to Mason at Landers Creek Outfitters off the main square about rifle options or possibly a "gift card" type thing for a rifle TBD.

For impulse ticket sales though, a rifle in hand that the winner can pick up the next morning when the 4473 can be cleared is the best way to go IMHO.

Everyone knows Tikka and their reputation of building top notch firearms. With your budget could throw a decent Vortex optic on it. Choose a caliber that everyone knows don't wanna scare away some ones rich Grandpa because it's chambered in 300 PRC.

Weatherby 6.5-300 Wby Mag MkV (Wood)

MKV-Ultramark.jpg

Instead of one gun, I would do 3 so you can attract a variety of interested folks. Maybe a shotgun, rifle and a pistol. You would have a pretty good selection in the $800 range for each.

I would suggest you buy a brand the general public will recognize. As avid hunters and shooters, names like LaRue, Seekins, GA Precision, etc… mean something to us. To many people those names mean nothing and hold no value. I used to attend some Ducks Unlimited banquets and it was crazy how many people simply would not bid on an item because they did not recognize the name brand. Top quality items made by lesser known manufacturers would bring less than mediocre products from well known brands.
Weatherby always gets attention. Tikka and Bergara are starting to get recognition. I won a SIG 970SHR at a fund raiser. I had never heard of it at the time. Its one of the best rifles that I own.

for a raffle--I'd go with a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 or 300 wsm or 7mm rem mag AND an AR-15 you can buy these both for under $1700 and have some left over for Glass, ammo, etc. I'll buy the first 5 tickets.

Ok
Do you expect most of the ticket sales to happen during the event? Just wondering how important the eye candy will be ...

I would pick a brand/model that most of the potential ticket buyers will recognize.

I would also consider if a scoped rifle with ammunition would sell more tickets than a bare rifle?

Personally, I think a rifle with a nice scope and a factory test target along with that ammunition would sell more tickets ... but it really depends on the audience.

Are you inviting your LRH brothers from North Texas?
These ticket sales will run for 2 months. Drawing just before Christmas