Need stock recommendations

Brent

I need a stock for my wifes rifle and wondered if you guys have any experience with ones you think would work well with this particular rifle.

The barrel will have a block about 2" wide and 9" long, the barrel is 1.35" dia full length. She'll use it from the bench and from a bipod both. A 2.5" to 3" forend would be about perfect. I like the vertical pistol grip style. So far I've looked at the McMillan A-2, A-4 and Tooley MBR. I like the A-4 the best, but figure the A-2 or MBR would work better on the bags.

Any input would really help.
Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

Contact John Hoover at Accuracy One in Tyrone Pa.His e-mail is [email protected] call him at (570)684-5322..........His stock,The master 1000 IMHO track's better than the MBR....And you probably won't have to wait 6 or 7 month's to get one....Again,just my opinion...
fce25358.jpg

[ 02-12-2003: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

Boyd,

Thanks for the pic.
smile.gif

How is the finish on them. I read on McMillans site that the finish on the molded ones are not as nice as the painted but have their advantages. Can the the casting lines and scratches not be smoothed out by sanding like anything else? My wife likes the color of yours. It is molded in too isn't it? Does he have a website? How wide is that one on top and bottom?

Thanks, I'll call and talk to him tomarrow.

Any more suggestions guys?

Thanks Boyd.

I couldn't find a his site no matter what I tried. Oh well, I'll call him tomarrow.

What was the width on the top of the forend there? It's got to fit the block in there is all.

Another one that you might consider (if waiting a bit is an option, that is) is the new McMillan A5. Check the forums over at www.snipershide.com for some advance pictures of some of the first models being shipped to customers. Kelly McMillan frequents that board, and IIRC, the A5 is the result of the inputs of a lot of the members there and the small niggling dissatisfactions w/ this-n-that on the A2 thru A4. You know... Well, I like this part of the A2, and this about the A3, and the A4 has this nifty feature, but I can't stand this other aspect of it, etc. The picture I saw of it got my attention! Colors chosen were butt-ugly IMHO, but then they were meant to be camo, not pretty.

HTH,

Monte

I looked at the stocks and the A5 is real impressive. I read all the linked threads on it and it sounds like the best on yet for sure. Wonder when they will be ready.

The master 1000 is a nice one, might be the way I'll go on hers this time. I couldn't get hold of John, he was at his sons basketball game when I called. I was looking at some stats at Williamsport and he has done real well there for sure. It seems like Kelly said the A5 will be ready soon but I'm not sure I want to wait much longer than the time it would take him to build any of the others at this point. I'll call them both tomarrow and see what the scoop is on the two.

Appreciate the links guys.

Boyd,

I been talking to John Hoover today, He's got them in stock and will ship me one next week.
smile.gif
He's going to have his wife send me some pics of the colors and patterns so my wife can pick a "pretty" one. Thank God he doesn't have a pink one, she'd get it, just so I don't adopt the gun!
grin.gif

Thanks again.

Brent,John and his family are all class act's.If there is one thing I hate it's seeing a Hoover sitting at a bench in my relay..You know how it feel's to get your butt kick'ed by a 14 year old girl.
grin.gif
.I do!!!!!!!!!!!!
grin.gif
.Let me know how you make out....John will take care of you......

That's pretty **** funny!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Believe it or not my dad is getting an aluminum stock from Brownells instead of John's only left hand Master 1000 he has on hand right now. I'm sorry, but the pistol grip spindley aluminum job doesn't look solid enough to shoot worth a **** to me.
rolleyes.gif

I'll be giving John the shipping info for Laurie's stock in the morning, can't wait to check it out. She's getting a marbled burgandy with silver.

All you lefties, he has one marbled black with silver ready to ship!

I got the 338 Lapua brass today. $129 from Bruno's shooters supply, thanks 4mesh... Best price by far, and I checked all over the place.

The reamer and a decent neck turner get ordered tomarrow!
smile.gif

Now if I can figure out how to get a few pieces of brass necked down to 30 caliber without a die...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.