Need Spotting Scope Help Before Purchase

Grubby

I am on the search for a fairly good spotting scope for a Wyoming Elk Hunt. I am looking at the Vortex Razor straight spotting scope 27-60 x 85mm. I am hoping to find someone in North East Ohio that may be willing to meet up with me to be able to take a long view to help me make that decision. This is a big purchase for me that I cannot afford to mess up.

Please feel free to post to this message or PM me if you would be willing to share your glass. I will travel to you.

Thanks,

Grub

I just went through this but in the 400 dollar range. This isn't what you were asking for but I thought it might help. I looked through some off brand stuff then the new vortex diamondback HD. Then I bought the Leupold sx-2 HD on sale because it was the only way to look through one. Then I compared the Leupold side by side with my friend's 90mm Swarovski. The Leupold compared unbelievably well with the Swarovski. The big boy was a tiny bit clearer, but less than you'd think for costing 12 times more. Color trueness was identical in the bright sunlight. The Diamondback was possibly clearer than the other 2 with a hair less color trueness, maybe. Essentially with all 3 I could see individual leaves on trees in the wind in their full outline at 2 miles. I can't imagine how nice the razor must be now, I bet it's better than that 5 yo swaro. My eyes have always disliked vortex in general but that entry level spotter was incredibly nice. I'm probably going to keep the Leupold since it cost about 100 bucks less that particular week and the controls are much softer and finer (less wiggle in the image and less sensitive focus). But I bet you wouldn't lose any sleep if you just bought that razor unseen.

I have also started to look at the leupold sx-4 and six-5. I wonder about the law of diminishing returns on investment. I will be hunting elk in WY in the late fall, I want to be able to find them. I also want to be able to sight my rifle in at the local 700 yard range on steel. I guess after reading more from you and others, will the leupold sx-4 treat me well and save me 500.

I would like to hear any opinions on that possibility as well.

thanks again!

grub

I'll say the leupolds are heavier than the competition, that could be a factor for you. But after looking through the 3500 dollar unit I feel like the diminishing returns are real. But I'll also say that when my buddy looked through the cheap leupold he instantly said "good as mine" and then ran off to get his and prove it. And again I think the diamondback was as good or better. We do have exceptional eyes for our ages but I can't believe how good the optics are. I don't think I'd be able to count every tine on a moving deer at 2 miles or size an elk carefully but in my estimation you have the right idea. Wyoming might be the only place where you could actually see 500 dollars worth of difference in terms of air clarity, but even still how much more can you really see than color and clarity except in maybe the lowest light? In my case I'd rather spend that 500 on coolers or tires or a drop camp/pack out or a good camera. I mean, I in no way think someone should NOT buy a high tier optic, they are excellent products, I'm just amazed at what I could get under 400 and I bet the 800 dollar level would decurl my hair. I dunno, just how I feel I guess. I would also like to hear from people with more experience than me.

Oh I think if you were hooking up a camera to film in 4k there'd be a huge difference there.

I didn't respond earlier because I didn't have exactly what you were looking for but I have the small razor. (12-33x50) for the price I love the lil guy. It's nice and clear in a little package. I have looked through the vipers and have a friend who has a Swarovski. Around here a lot of days it's hard to tell much difference but out west on a nice day it really separated the Swarovski to another level! I live near Wooster Ohio. Pm me if you wanna look through those 3 I mentioned.

Ive had a bunch of spotters, the Leupold 40x60 gold ring is 36 oz. and all around good package.Find them for $1000 used, mine was $600 new still have it.Best deal I seen lately Alex Wheeler has a mint swarroski 20-60x65 sts for sale for think$1650. if it had the 20-50W id own it

I didn't respond earlier because I didn't have exactly what you were looking for but I have the small razor. (12-33x50) for the price I love the lil guy. It's nice and clear in a little package. I have looked through the vipers and have a friend who has a Swarovski. Around here a lot of days it's hard to tell much difference but out west on a nice day it really separated the Swarovski to another level! I live near Wooster Ohio. Pm me if you wanna look through those 3 I mentioned.
That little razor will be my next field optics buy, I hope they update them soon so all the used 1st gens come down in price! They're going for 500 in my area with scratches on the bodies.

My only advice, go to a store that has them in stock, and look throught them at dusk. Or better yet, if you have friends that have any, look though them at dawn/dusk. Many brands will do OK in a clear day. I wasted a lot of mone on a brand that so many love, didn;t know what I was missing till I compared side by side.

My issue is that nobody near me has anything other than the Vortex Diamondback in stock and none of my friends have them either. That is why I am trying to find someone locally that may have what I am looking for so I can visit.

Thanks,

........... I have heard that Vortex has some good spotting scope out now and with a Military/LE discount it's a good deal.
I bought the Vortex HD Diamondback 16x48 - 65mm using the military (retired)/LE 40% discount from Expertvoice. $499 down to $299. Total was $333.74 which included $10 shipping + taxes.
You may want to forget the taxes on that $1,500 to $3,000 purchase when you tell your spouse what a bargan you got. 😇😇😇

I went with the Vortex Viper 20-60x85 straight it's big to carry but I don't like to struggle to see what I'm looking at I'll just carry more weight. I can't find it right now but there is a good video on youtube about the Razor vs Viper and I looked through both and the difference a year or so ago was minimal. The price difference was not. I use mine a few times a year and at the range and am extremely happy with it. Maybe if I used one daily I would bump up to a "better" one but now days even the lower end ones are better than some of the best in years past. Just my 2 cents.

Call Jon at Tract Optics and talk with him. They sell direct and no middle man. They will sell you one of their UHD scopes and if not satisfied you can return without any issues. Schott UHD glass and a great price on top of it. I don't own one but have a very good hunting buddy that does. We put lots of hours behind it looking at Coues deer. Guys at Tract are solid men. Good luck with your purchase on whatever you decide.