Need Spotting Scope Help Before Purchase

I've seen a lot of good plans and superb optics end up staying in camp after a couple of days of trying to lug a heavy spotting scope around the mountains, so I'd recommend keeping the weight down for a hunting scope when you can. Even an optically inferior one in your pack will be better than the $3k model in camp. I have a big Razor for the range, a 60mm Swaro for most hunting, but keep looking at the little Vortex because I know that it would always be with me. Also, weight be damned if you need superior optics to help ensure that an animal is legal; buying the scope will be cheaper in the long run than paying the fine for a sub-legal ram or moose.

All optics are good in the middle of the day when you have plenty of sun lite. I started out with a 30.00 20x40 spotter sense then I have traded up today with a Kiowa Prominar 884 the clarity is always there in snow rain wind daylight and in late evening. When your 2 miles from an animal and you looking at antlers, you can see them. It's the fine details on the better scopes that make a difference. I have been there when I was younger with lower quality optics and today at 60 and what I see with these I wonder what did I miss when I was really looking. At the same time quality optics do not deprecate very much. And they will last a lifetime.

I agree with the people who have recommended you look into something lighter. I love my 27-60 at the range, but I hate it in the field. I think my next optic purchase will be an 11-33 for backpack hunts. For something like a ram hunt where the magnification could mean the difference between shooting a legal ram and passing because you can't count the rings on a horn it's worth it. For something like an elk hunt it's less important.

There is a huge difference optically between the Razor, Viper, and Diamondback at dawn and dusk. It's less noticable mid day, but the clarity and color get better as you go up in price. There also seems to be a minor improvement in mirage, but it's less noticable. I'm willing to bet most people who looked at them side by side and claim the Viper's on par with the Razor didn't compare them in adverse conditions.

I previously had Viper HD 15-45x65mm but bought the Razor HD 16-48x65mm (14.1"long, 45oz) for about $650 on deal 3-4yrs ago when they were coming out with newer/current models and found the difference in clarity VERY noticeable even in good light. Sold the viper and wouldn't go back. IMO, that razor HD is a lot of scope for the money I have in it.

Thought about the new Kowa TSN 553 15-45x55mm because it's an even more compact package (10.6" long, 28.6oz) and the flourite glass reputation but haven't had the opportunity to compare to the 65mm Razor.

Last edited:
This may not apply to your use for packing and hunting, but did want to follow up since others in this thread mentioned Kowa.

Wanted a quality scope for mostly shooting at the range for out to 1000 yard hits on steel. Purchased a well known brand 80mm mentioned in this thread. Spent over $1000 and was ultimately very frustrated with the quality of the view and the type of focus apparatus. Sold it. Apparently theses work well for other uses.

Purchased a Kowa 773. The difference was very apparent in better view quality and ease of focus. Phone scoping is also much better. Well worth the money for my use. I would recommend you carefully evaluate your expectation and intended use so that you are not disappointed. I did not realize that my desired use required very high view quality not found in the generic brands no matter how much money you save on them.

I have a decent scope in the huge non packable camp model and the kowa 553. While hunting oryx I put the big eyes on a suspicious spot at 1200m just before dark looked like horns but wasn't certain. Tried with the kowa and confirmed saw the big boy look at me, then look away, ears flick etc. I bought the kowa for a pack scope along with a carbon tripod and not disappointed, it did hurt at first $$ but worth every penny for the fluorite lens at dusk/ dawn. Colours pop, clear to the edge definition and light enough to carry.

I'll back the Kowa's they are overlooked in the US, maybe because they don't market like others. But, their quality is well above many of the common brands. Another very high quality scope in your price range is Meopta Meopro. It is acutally assembled in the US and has HD Fluoride objective lens like the Kowas.

The baby Kowa ran neck n neck with my Leupold gold ring, but better packer.Small size jiggly in wind.My bigger Kowa nicer optic but more than I wanted to pack. Im going to end up with a swarm 20-50wx 65

Grubby, looking for game while using optics requires binoculars, not a spotting scope. Preferably higher powered ones mounted on a tripod. After the game is located then a spotter can be used to confirm things including rack size.
But it should also be tripod mounted.
Larger binoculars in the 12 to 15 power range mounted on a tripod will eliminate the need for a spotting scope for the most part while hunting. Your neiboring state of PA has one of the largest groups of long range hunters in the entire country, and has had for decades. By far the most commonly used optics there are twin spotting scopes in brackets supported on a tripod. And the fact is you would be very surprised as to what is the most popular there for that use.
My guess would be that 90 percent of the optics users have never done a true side by side test on the same day looking at the same things before deciding on the optic they bought.
And unless you do you cant possibly make a good decision.
I have never looked thru any optics made by Track, but from what im told by friends who have compared their large binoculars with others including Swarovski, they would for sure be on my list.

Thanks Jay, I need to do some research about the toric first. I am hoping to reduce some weight from the viper to the razor. Also, I may look at the sx -5 for the same reason. My brain is spinning time for bed. Thanks For all the feedback!

Grubby, looking for game while using optics requires binoculars, not a spotting scope. Preferably higher powered ones mounted on a tripod. After the game is located then a spotter can be used to confirm things including rack size.
But it should also be tripod mounted.
Larger binoculars in the 12 to 15 power range mounted on a tripod will eliminate the need for a spotting scope for the most part while hunting. Your neiboring state of PA has one of the largest groups of long range hunters in the entire country, and has had for decades. By far the most commonly used optics there are twin spotting scopes in brackets supported on a tripod. And the fact is you would be very surprised as to what is the most popular there for that use.
My guess would be that 90 percent of the optics users have never done a true side by side test on the same day looking at the same things before deciding on the optic they bought.
And unless you do you cant possibly make a good decision.
I have never looked thru any optics made by Track, but from what im told by friends who have compared their large binoculars with others including Swarovski, they would for sure be on my list.
This is my plan, I have good 12x50 binos…I would like use the spotter for long range shooting and to help confirm what I believe i am seeing through my binos. My long term goal is to be hunting a long way out in the wilderness of Mt and CO. The spotter is an pother tool in the toolbox.

thanks!

The baby Kowa ran neck n neck with my Leupold gold ring, but better packer.Small size jiggly in wind.My bigger Kowa nicer optic but more than I wanted to pack. Im going to end up with a swarm 20-50wx 65
These are both more than I can afford to spend at this time.

thanks,

I just went through this but in the 400 dollar range. This isn't what you were asking for but I thought it might help. I looked through some off brand stuff then the new vortex diamondback HD. Then I bought the Leupold sx-2 HD on sale because it was the only way to look through one. Then I compared the Leupold side by side with my friend's 90mm Swarovski. The Leupold compared unbelievably well with the Swarovski. The big boy was a tiny bit clearer, but less than you'd think for costing 12 times more. Color trueness was identical in the bright sunlight. The Diamondback was possibly clearer than the other 2 with a hair less color trueness, maybe. Essentially with all 3 I could see individual leaves on trees in the wind in their full outline at 2 miles. I can't imagine how nice the razor must be now, I bet it's better than that 5 yo swaro. My eyes have always disliked vortex in general but that entry level spotter was incredibly nice. I'm probably going to keep the Leupold since it cost about 100 bucks less that particular week and the controls are much softer and finer (less wiggle in the image and less sensitive focus). But I bet you wouldn't lose any sleep if you just bought that razor unseen.
It is not just that the $400 Leupold is "kind of close" in clarity when looking at them for 10 minutes. Or even 30. Try looking though both for 4+ hours a day. THEN tell me the Swaro is not worth 9x more than the $400 spotter. Eye fatigue is a killer.

For the serious western hunter, high end glass isn't expensive....it is priceless. I wouldn't go any less than a Meopta S2 20-70×82HD. Way outperforms a Vortex Razor spotter.
20201127_080818.jpg

But for glassing out west, where 2-4+ miles is commonplace, top choice is either Swaro or Kowa. And a good tripod is a necessity.
20210212_100618.jpg

This deer is 3.1 miles away.
20210212_092203.jpg

And this one is 880 yards
20210212_111631.jpg