Need some wisdom on a purchase

my82cam

Well, I have been searching for parts to build a 700 in 300 win mag. I have been talking with a local gunsmith who builds a lot of them, and also with redhawk firearms in CO. After talking with redhawk, he said he had something i needed to look at that may fit my needs. So, I looked on gunbroker(always a bad thing! lol) and I saw a remington 700 in 300 mag, exactly how I want to build one. Only bad thing is, it is the factory action and barrel, it has been worked and the barrel frozen or something like that. anyways, I think I can get into the rifle for around 2100 plus the muzzle brake I want. If I build one, I will have quite a bit more in it than that, gunsmith said I would probably have 1200-1500 labor, fluting and bolt work and finish the way I want it, plus parts, stiller action and schneider barrel is all I lack for the parts. I guess I am just having trouble pulling the trigger one way or the other. any input? I guess as long as it is a great shooter, it doesn't matter if it has an aftermarket action or factory barrel. I am not building it to resell, building it to shoot and use the thing! lol

If the rifle you looked at on gunbroker is a factory barrel its a waste of 2 grand in my opinion. You have just as good of chance of finding a $600 factory rifle that shoots just as well. The gunsmith quote you got sounds a little high. Call a couple smiths and get a better feel for it. If you need help finding a good smith just ask a lot of us here have some go to guys we use. The custom in my opinion will be worth the money.

I agree with Mike.

Buying a used rifle of any sort is always a gamble to one extent or another.

$2100 would be great if you knew for fact that it had alot of barrel life left and it shot really well, and functioned fine. Would be great if you could talk to the original owner and "test drive" it.

Full custom brand new, including cost of the action is running about $3500 to over $4000.
That's assuming blueprint, bedding, stock inletting, painting and cerakote, all the goodies and not counting optics.

My experience in the field is this. I can get most long range factory rifles like Sendero's and Accumarks to hold 1 moa at 1000 yards. Or close to it. My customs will hold 1/2 moa at 1000 and most will beyond that. So it kinda depends on how accurate of a rifle you need. If you are looking for a rilfe to shoot 2" at 500 yards I would go with a custom barreled rifle. Like the others have said. For a full custom rifle plan on spending $4000 plus with no optics.

Jeff

I suppose I should have said the rifle was brand new with 0 rounds down the pipe. I thought the 1200-1500 was a little high for the labor only, but I am wanting a removable muzzle brake, fluted barrel, bolt, skeleton bolt and fluted tac knob. all fluting to have black inlay. Here is a link to some pictures of the rifle I am drooling over CUSTOM REM 700 SENDERO 300 WM SF II TACTICAL KNOB : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com auction has ended, don't know if it will still pop up.

I build my own rifles, and the two this year both ran to $2400-$2500 with Mk4 6.5x20's on 'em. The 300WM shoots 1.12" 5 shot groups at 300yd., and the .308 .33MOA up to 700 yd. This gives you an idea of the actual cost of customs, the rest is labor and profit.
I use rem 700's , true em (it's fast and easy, no big deal to do)
Bergara bbls, and some pac-nor, SS varmint contour 26" min.
timmny trgrs.
B&C stocks
Mk 4's

I suppose I should have said the rifle was brand new with 0 rounds down the pipe. I thought the 1200-1500 was a little high for the labor only, but I am wanting a removable muzzle brake, fluted barrel, bolt, skeleton bolt and fluted tac knob. all fluting to have black inlay. Here is a link to some pictures of the rifle I am drooling over CUSTOM REM 700 SENDERO 300 WM SF II TACTICAL KNOB : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com auction has ended, don't know if it will still pop up.

I would not be thinking anywhere near $2100 for that rifle. At least not for me. I have one of those BC stocks with the flat bottomed forearm. If it was on a rifle I shot more it would be gone. Hard to get a bipod to fit them unless you use an adapter and I think they are hard on your hand to carry.

The barreled action has some nice bolt work done, but that is it and it is all cosmetic. I like it too but it still does not get the price of the rifle up to those numbers for my taste. I don't like detachable mags either. They don't bring enough to the table for the added weight in my world, and usually limit the length of a loaded round. That can be an issue if you want to load some heavier bullets.

Also "sometimes" the chryo treatments are done in an attempt to cure a problem with a stressed barrel. It not always fixes them. That treatment is a red flag to me. I can't say for sure as some people do it to new rifles too, but this being a factory barreled action I have a bit of an uneasy feeling about the chryo treatment.

Rather than going this route I would be looking for a Sendero SFII used. That is pretty much what you are buying here and it will be in a HS stock (which I like better) and you should buy one for $1000 used. Then take some of the saved money and install a fluted bolt and a side discharge brake like a JP.

Again this is only my opinion for my personal preferences, your milage may vary.

Jeff

It still works.

If the stock is the one you want, you also want the customized bolt and handle, and you were going to get the Wyatt's drop magazine then it's not a bad deal. If not, then it's less expensive to buy a new Sendero for $1200 and do what you want with it, if anything.

Rem 7313 700 Sendero SF II Bolt 300 Win Mag 2 : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

rifle 001.jpg

rifle 002.jpg

rifle 003.jpg

group1.jpg

group2.jpg

group3.jpg

This build as you see it was $5260.00

26" krieger barrel fluted, vias brake.
HS stock.
Jewell triger set at 1lb. 4oz.
rem 700 action blue printed.

The groups were all shot at 100yds doing load development. Thanks to advice from this forum I got rid of the flyer. Most of the advice came from Broz he knows what he is talking about. This rifle shots 1/2 or better moa out to 800 yds that is as far as I am shooting right now working my way to 1000+ Hope this gives you an idea of what you can do. You know what they say about pictures. Good luck let us know what you get. Show pics.

Rick

View attachment 15190

View attachment 15191

View attachment 15192

View attachment 15193

View attachment 15194

View attachment 15195

This build as you see it was $5260.00

26" krieger barrel fluted, vias brake.
HS stock.
Jewell triger set at 1lb. 4oz.
rem 700 action blue printed.

The groups were all shot at 100yds doing load development. Thanks to advice from this forum I got rid of the flyer. Most of the advice came from Broz he knows what he is talking about. This rifle shots 1/2 or better moa out to 800 yds that is as far as I am shooting right now working my way to 1000+ Hope this gives you an idea of what you can do. You know what they say about pictures. Good luck let us know what you get. Show pics.

Rick
I should have mentioned that is with the glass.
Nightforce 5.5x22x56 moar reticle, nightforce20moa base, nightforce light weight rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts