need some suggestions

greenecj

let me start off by saying i live in Pa, i am wanting to get into long range hunting/shooting. long range around here is 400-1000 (and 1000 is pushing it) most of my long range shots will probably be under 600 yards.

im looking for a bullet that proforms well at both short and long range. short being 150yrds and under. I have been considering the berger vld's but im affraid they wont proform well at shorter distances.

what do you guys suggest?

also i forgot to mention i will be shooting a Browning A-bolt m-1000 eclipse in 300wsm

thanks

Welcome to LRH. Your 300wsm is a great longrange cartridge. You will also be fine shooting the VLDs at both long and short range. This year I took a buck from 20 yards with my 280 shooting 168VLD. Put a heart/lung shot on him and deer acted like he had hit with a sledgehammer. The bullet performed perfectly with a 7mm entry hole and a 2" exit hole.

let me start off by saying i live in Pa, i am wanting to get into long range hunting/shooting. long range around here is 400-1000 (and 1000 is pushing it) most of my long range shots will probably be under 600 yards.

im looking for a bullet that proforms well at both short and long range. short being 150yrds and under. I have been considering the berger vld's but im affraid they wont proform well at shorter distances.

what do you guys suggest?

also i forgot to mention i will be shooting a Browning A-bolt m-1000 eclipse in 300wsm

thanks
Hornady Interlock, Interbond, Swift Scirocco, and Nosler Accubond are all great performing High BC "true hunting bullets".

Any of those four would serve you quite well.

Try the 165-200gr's bullets and I'll bet you can find something your rifle will really right that will give you excellentt peformance on game.

thanks guys, im gonna end up trying a couple different loads and seeing how they preform on the range! thanks again for the ideas guys

Say , where you at in Pa ? Where you shoot or practice ? I have a 300wsm in the eclipse too , Shoots 180 noslers very well at 600 an ok at 1000.

im from greene county...pretty close to the Wv border. i must say that most of my long range practice is on groundhogs haha

im just starting out with the long range whitetail hunting. ive always had large cal guns (300) and have kill deer at 400+ yards with a regular bushnell scope
but if im gonna get serious about long range im gonna go with good optics like the huskemaw or nightforce with the adjustable turrets and all

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.