Need some suggestions here...

roy...s

OK Guys I've come to the experts. I can usually find what I need thru the search but this time I've got to actually ask the question....

So here we go.....
I just pulled the trigger on a TC Dimension in 30-06 and need some help with suggestions on a good scope to put on top. I'm suffering from analysis paralyses with all the options out there these days.

Before we get to what I intend to use the rifle and scope for. I understand anything I choose will be a compromise of sorts as one scope/rifle can't excel at everything. I'm looking for the one that will do the job of what I'm going to describe below.

THE PLAN...Here is where it gets interesting.
My intention to buy a .300 Mag and 22.250 barrel once they become available again. My plan is to set up the rifle with the scope on the receiver and use it for all barrels and hunting I do. This is for two reasons. First is price as I plan on buying decent glass. Second is it won't matter what caliber I'm shooting, or what I'm hunting, the rifle will always shoulder the same, thus creating consistency, accuracy and less fuss in the field.

THE PARAMETERS...
1) Hunting conditions will range from brush to open country.
2) Game will range from coyotes to elk. My main focus is blacktail, elk, and bear, here in the brush of Western Washington. Coyotes are an after thought but fun to chase when the opportunity presents itself. Dreams are of Mule deer in the wide open spaces in a couple of years.
3) The max distance it would ever get used is 500 yards. If I go beyond that I'll be building a specific long range rig.
4) Low magnification has to go down to at least 3X.
5) Max magnification the most I see needing is 15X. Not married to this but seems reasonable.
6) Max objective lens 44 MM. I don't want to fuss with having to place to scope too high and messing with a shakey cheek weld.
7) I don't need/want adjustable turrets.
Price has to be less than $650.00. New or Used it doesn't matter to me.

If you still with me after all that...Suggestions?

To do all that, I would give a plus one on the Zeiss.

I like mine...thats all I know!!

I've looked long and hard at that scope the only thing holding me back is the 4.5X at the low end. I hunt alot of timber and shoot Blacktails in the thick stuff. That's kinda why I'm leaning toward the 3x at the low end.

Thanks for the lead though guys I know the Zeiss is highly regarded.

Very difficult question because there are 300+ answers. With you wanting a 2.5 and some over 10 also I would think of a bushy 6500 or other that has a 5 or 6 time mag on it. Your basically wanting a short range combo I would go to 14 stores with optics and see which fit my eye. Seriously there are so many that singling out anything is just hard. 75% of the scopes made for the market fit your criteria or get real close. Minox,weaver,vortex,docter,leup,sightron, all make good stuff that will fit you. You can get some real nice glass for $650 at low mags and no trick reticles side focus etc. Whatever you buy go somewhere you can look thru them AT 500 yds and in the DARK. If the store wont let you I guess they dont wanna sell one. I had a store in ATL tell me it was against company policy to take anything out to look at. I was looking at 15x56 swarov and similar binos. Took me 30 minutes hanging out at the counter reading newspapers across the mall and a sales guy went outside with me...for that kinda $$$ he shoulda carried my big butt outside. Even tho I live in BFE(by fat eddies) I make it a point to look thru glass before I buy it. Make a 2 day trip of it if you have to.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts