Need some scope help

straightshooter

I have a Savage 12fv in a 223 that I use as my long range practice rifle. I have a SWFA SS on it right now that I am very happy with, but I want to upgrade to a variable power. What I am looking for is a scope that is in the $400 range, I know that at this price I will have to give up something in quality. As I dial for everything I want a scope that is very reliable for function. I only day shoot so glass quality isn't as much of an issue for me, but function is everything. I am currently looking at the Falcon Menace, Viper vortex, and Millet all in their tactical models. Any input to these models and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Im very happy with my Nikon Monarch. Im not sure how much functional variance you are wanting but they have a 4-16x42 and a 4-16x50. I got mine for a great deal new $350. Not sure if youre a mil dot guy but they make it in 5 different reticles. They all have the locking side focus parallax.

Thanks for the input guys. I always respect the info I get from this site, I know it is coming from experience, and no sales pitch. All I am looking for is a 30mm tubed scope that is very reliable mechanically!!! I would prefer a side parallax adjust, just because I have never owned one. I really don't care about glass quality. I know that this sounds silly but this is more of an experiment than a long term quality scope, it will only be used for daytime target practice, and probably not over 600 yards. I guess this should be more of a poll, "What cheap tactical scopes have you owned that was a pleasant surprise?"

I'm an avid Nikon Buckmaster series fan. 4.5-14x40 $239 and 6-18x40 $290 (I think, can't remember, but it may be less). I own both, and love both of them equally. Vortex or Sightron will be my next step.

The 6-18 is a Target Dot with Side focus, 1/8" clicks, and target turrets. It also comes with a shorter fat turret that you can put on if you don't want to use the dust caps. This sets on my 300WSM and provides all the clarity and adjustment I need. I can see groundhogs at 1000yrds with out a problem.

The 4.5-14 as a Side focus with mil-dot and adjustable turrets with 1/4" clicks. This scope works great on my .308 and gives enough adjustment to little better than 800yrds. Its a short barrel, so the velocity is down resulting in less adjustment.

The other I would suggest is the 5-15x44 3200 Elite which somebody has already mentioned. It is not a side focus though. Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 for $230. All these are 1" bodies, but provide enough adjustment. The Vortex Viper line is just a hair over $400 but if you can come up with an extra 20 or 30 dollars it will be worth it.

One I keep forgetting about and just thought of is the Millet LRS. It has a 35mm body, its own rings, 6-24x56mm I think. It is sold for under $400 and most have said it is worth the money for budget shooting. It provides 1/4MOA clicks which is good.

Tank

I use nothing but Leupold. I bought my first one in 1969 and over the years have went to all Leupolds. A 3 x 9 vx11 or alittle better the 3 1/2 x 10 vx111 with target knobs is what I would recomand if the gun will be used in the field also. If it is for range use only I have picked up both 24x and 36x target scopes at gun shows for $400 ea.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.