Need some input on a cartridge I drew up

Hey, I appreciate all the info given so far.
Calvin, I have no idea, but I "think" it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe one of the gun smiths on here would have a better idea on that one. This is one reason I posted this, a bunch of people on here have way more experience and knowledge about wildcats.
Thanks again all that have posted so far.
Take Care, Rick

If you do end up doing this please let us know. As I said, I've entertained this before as well. For whatever reason I had a very specific cartridge in my head for a long time, a .22-284win with the double radius shoulder. Not for the ultra high bc lawn darts but to send the high-ish bc mid weights to warp.

Hey, I was obviously suffering from lack of food earlier. I have three Wby cartridges and I don't headspace them on the belt. I head space on the shoulder, way better case life that way. So I think that I would have a form/trim die made and then do the crush fire form or hydraulic form. Hydraulic form would save on barrel life and get the cases close enough to do actual load development with them.

I have a few wildcats with a single radius shoulder but the chambers and dies were "cut" via EDM. 14 Hornet, 25-284, and a series based on the 376 Steyr case - .264, .308 and .338. Although fun to mess around with I spend a lot of time forming brass.

Hey DLJ6, I designed a cartridge on paper based off the 376 Steyr case, but that's as far as it got. Do you have any pictures of your designs/cartridges you can post?
Take Care, Rick

Hi your cartrige will headspace fine with the Wby shoulder. All of the Wby chambers we cut we show the customer how to full length size without regard to the belt so they only bump the shoulder max .002".
As for the shoulders they do not give any advantage at all and most benchrest shooters using Wby cases change to a conventional shoulder between 35 and 40 degrees.
Remember when pushing a shoulder of a parent case back to gain a longer neck you will likley get doughnuts so internal neck reaming might be needed. I prefer not to neck ream because a nice drawn finish is more consistent for projectile release.
RCC could likley make you brass however it is expensive.
I have designed wildcats from basic cases with 60° shoulders plus used the SMc case design with the full radius shoulder it is great to have something to have design input into and a great learning excersize.
When you get your chamber reamer get a sizing reamer then your gunsmith can make you a sizing die. For a seating die get a 7mm rem mag Forster seater and your gunsmith can run your chamber reamer into the sleave.

Hope it helps
Cheers Bill

So I have played around designing cartridges for years. I think I might be interested in bringing this one to life. So drawing on the knowledge of the people on this site. Is there already a round like this one, shoulders with Weatherby radius's, cut it back a little to give room for long heavy bullets but still fit in a mag action. I know it's similar to a few other cartridges in case capacity. View attachment 267455Second part is for people that have actually went through the process recently, cost of the reamer, dies and anything in that department I don't know about. Recently bought and had a barrel reamed and put on an action so I got that piece. ThanksView attachment 267455
Ricky, go for it!

FYI, I just ordered a set of custom dies from CH4D for my .375-06RCBS. Wait time is now 24 months for a full set of dies and it was under $250.00 even though they have to make a new reamer since it's not a cartridge that they have ever made dies for.
After all, it's just money. 😁

Ed

So I have played around designing cartridges for years. I think I might be interested in bringing this one to life. So drawing on the knowledge of the people on this site. Is there already a round like this one, shoulders with Weatherby radius's, cut it back a little to give room for long heavy bullets but still fit in a mag action. I know it's similar to a few other cartridges in case capacity. View attachment 267455Second part is for people that have actually went through the process recently, cost of the reamer, dies and anything in that department I don't know about. Recently bought and had a barrel reamed and put on an action so I got that piece. ThanksView attachment 267455
What is your anticipated performance for this cartridge?

This is really very Impressive. As the guy with the least amount of Technical knowledge, I ask these question only for the sake of education. Is this new case going to be based on a 7mm Weatherby mag case?? Does your new case offer a significant difference in capacity between the 7mm Weatherby Mag case and /or the 7mm Rem Ultra Mag case??? Also , how does it compare to the new Weatherby 6.5RPM non belted case?? Best of success to you Rickey

Hey Lenny, it's based off the Rem Ultra Mag (UM) cases. It's longer than a 7 Wby case, a little shorter than the UM and of course no belt.
Longranger, my goal is to be able to seat long heavy bullets in the neck of case and be able to fit them in the mag box with no issues. As far as speed, not sure, but it should get close to the 7UM since I'm not pushing the base of the bullet down into the case. What do you think?

First, let me say I am not a wildcatter. I may be missing something Ricky, but looking at your measurements in the case drawings I wonder if you case will be similar to a 7mm PRC. The case web diameter is more similar to it than to the 0.550" of the ultramag/ Nosler family. A stretched out 7mm PRC case would be pretty cool from a velocity/ magazine capacity/ protrusion space standpoint. I look forward to seeing how this plays out. I think with the extra bullet protrusion you could give the 28 Nosler a run for the money as long as powder space/ burn characteristics allow.