Need some input on a cartridge I drew up

Hornady Universal Neck die .284 version $50. Use your 7mm Wby seater die adjusted for shorter case, and you won't have to spend $200 - $300 and wait a year for a set of custom dies that will do the same thing. What others have said about using JGS or Manson for your reamer and headspace gauges. $300 with JGS for reamer and go gauge. They won't take forever, either. Don't bother with PTG.

Hey Savage112, you're correct, I need to fix that. Think I worked off a couple different drawings and got that dimension wrong and carried it down the case. Thanks for squaring me away.

Rogerstv, me too, although it could stand for Rick's Custom Round also, in your case Roger's.
Take Care, Rick

PTG would be my third choice. I've always had good luck with Manson. Ive also had work done by CH4D, but tried to order something, but the wait time was excessive so I backed out.

The design sequence & process to form brass is where i start with all wildcats.
Brass availability & the ease of forming it are first consideration. Sometimes existing reamers can get you to where you want to go by modifying existing chambers.
Good luck, your targets will be a reward for all the work.

Hornady Universal Neck die .284 version $50. Use your 7mm Wby seater die adjusted for shorter case, and you won't have to spend $200 - $300 and wait a year for a set of custom dies that will do the same thing. What others have said about using JGS or Manson for your reamer and headspace gauges. $300 with JGS for reamer and go gauge. They won't take forever, either. Don't bother with PTG.
Can't use the seater as the RUM case is a larger diameter

Enjoy the fun of designing a cartridge. People had to,after WWII because the industry was so stodgy. Ingenuity, highlighted by the 257 AI and 4831 at .22 cents a pound forced the Industry to start designing cartridges with more pressures and higher velocity and we all benefited. With regard to the double radius shoulder, My Uncle Allie took his pre war Model 70 300 H&H, serial no. 4,327 to Roy Weatherby's garage, and it was rechambered. Allie was left with the idea that the double radius was a great gimmick, despite the denials.
So, you probably have put more thought into your case, since you are dealing with those incredibly long, 180 gr. 7mm Bullets. Congratulations!

WW

I have a few custom chambered rifles, mostly AI's (375 H&H AI, 280AI, 22-250AI). But I have a couple that some might consider less common - 35 Brown Whelen - RCBS made dies based on 3 fired cases and - 375 Whelen AI - CH4d provided dies for this and a couple of the mentioned AI's. Close to 50 years ago, I also had a 22-250 that had an over sized chamber that RCBS provided dies for based on fired cases (I bought that rifle that way.)
I've rented reamers and had very good luck with a company that some have written "DON'T USE", so I won't say who or recommend them. The reamers I've rented include some common calibers such a 308 Win. I wouldn't be scared of renting reamers again.
As far as a special design like yours that would require a special cut reamer - I'm not knowledgeable on who to go to for those at any rate. But I believe you'd be buying, not renting a special reamer of your design - correct me if you can find a rental reamer, please.

Hey Sodakota, I'm sure you're right about buying the reamer. But it's kind of fun figuring all this out.
Take Care, Rick

Ricky, go for it!

FYI, I just ordered a set of custom dies from CH4D for my .375-06RCBS. Wait time is now 24 months for a full set of dies and it was under $250.00 even though they have to make a new reamer since it's not a cartridge that they have ever made dies for.
After all, it's just money. 😁

Ed
Exactly why I didn't use CH4D for dies the price was great but the turn around time was ridiculously long. I went to Hornady custom die 90 days and the price was half of CH4D. I had reamer, fire formed cases and a print. I have other Hornady custom dies there nice , well made. Just my 2 cents on it.

For me - on the dies I bought from CH4D delivery was less than a month. They told me that if I wanted a 375 Whelen die set it would be 6 months. If I wanted the 375 Whelen AI it would be shipped right away. That's one of the reasons I went AI on this rifle.

For me - on the dies I bought from CH4D delivery was less than a month. They told me that if I wanted a 375 Whelen die set it would be 6 months. If I wanted the 375 Whelen AI it would be shipped right away. That's one of the reasons I went AI on this rifle.

Their quoted delivery times are pretty crazy sometimes, but I've always had them delivered in significantly less time. It's also amazing what they have sitting on the shelf and ready to ship sometimes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.