NEED SOME INFO, ANY ASSISTANCE APPRECIATED

Ian,

I have a few:
1. White tail deer, buck 160 class - shotgun 1 oz slug, distance 5 or 6 yards, position slightly quartering from left to right trying to get to the next zip code. 1st shot entered between 2nd and 3rd rib exiting in front of opposite shoulder, double lung hit/no heart contact. 2nd shot about .25 seconds later just behind rib cage stopping in opposite shoulder but did not break major bone. Effect - ran about 100-125 yards bedded down with me hot on his heels, when I caught up with him he jumped up and was rewarded with the 3rd slug entering from the right side behind the front shoulder and breaking the opposite shoulder and making him DRT ( dead right there ).

2. Elk - bull, 290 class, 30-06, distance 115 yards, position slightly quartering toward walking, 1st shot behind front shoulder between 2 ribs and exited between the back 2 ribs, breaking not a single bone and hitting only 1 lung. Effect - ran about 40 yards just into the heavy timber and piled up.

3. Elk - bull, 200 class, 338 win mag 250 gr partition, distance 460 yards, position perfect broadside still, 1st shot impacted right behind front shoulder just above half way up the body, bullet "rode" a rib up to the backbone pulverized a 3-4" section, turned almost 90 degrees forward and stopped just under the skin in the neck just below the skull. Effect - dropped so fast I thought I missed it.

4. Elk - bull, spike, 7 mm mag 160gr speer , distance 620 yards, position broadside still, 1st shot complete pass through double lung top of heart. Effect walked like nothing happened for about 10 feet and fell over stiff legged.

5. Elk - bull 240 class, 300 win mag 180 gr ballistic tip, distance 325 yards, position walking right to left broadside, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd shots all within a 5 or 6 inch group righ behind front shoulder. 1st shot staggered and picked up speed, 2nd staggerd and kept going, 3rd shot dropped it butt to the ground but got right up and kept trucking. By the time I get reloaded he is out of sight. Effect - huge blood trail spray 2-3 feet either side of tracks for the first 200-250 yards, blood trail lessens, jump bull in the thick stuff, follow trial of blood that is now down to a drop every 30 or 40 feet, I am starting to fear losing him when I spot his butt in front of mee about 20 yards and he is trying to raise his head to get up, high neck shot ends the cluster. Total distance covered since 1st shot a little over 1/2 mile.

6. whitetail buck, 120 class, 308 win 165 gr ballistic tip, distance 390 yards, broadside still, 1st shot behind the front shoulder but high ( my poor range guess ) impacted the backbone almost directly. Effect - on impact deer almost folded in half toward me and dropped on the spot.

7. whitetail buck 100 class, 338 edge 200 grain ballistic tip, distance 340 yards, broadside still, 1st shot behind front shoulder about 1/3 of the way up the body (perfect heart shot). Effect - dropped on the spot like it was hit by lightning. Bullet impact absolutly turned the insides into cranberry sause bullet did not exit.

There are a few of my shots. I have always been of the opinion the both in hunting and in law enforcement that the only sure fire way to drop something in its' tracks is to disrupt the central nervous system, there are other "good" shots but the CNS shot is the only sure thing and even it must be a full disrupting shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.