Need some help

Lapua 338

Hi everyone, wondering if I can get a little help or at least a little bit of information. So here goes. Recently picked up some Hornady 200 gr FTX in 338 Cal to load for my 338lapua. I use N570 for most of my loads but can't seem to find a load for this round.. Just wondering if anyone else out there is shooting this and what possible weight could I use for the N570 powder if at all.

Thanks in advance for any and all input..

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look at the load up and work my way around. Once again thank for the help.

Hi everyone, wondering if I can get a little help or at least a little bit of information. So here goes. Recently picked up some Hornady 200 gr FTX in 338 Cal to load for my 338lapua. I use N570 for most of my loads but can't seem to find a load for this round.. Just wondering if anyone else out there is shooting this and what possible weight could I use for the N570 powder if at all.

Thanks in advance for any and all input..
250 to 300 grain bullets is where that powder shines
AD7B5469-26B8-4047-884C-EE5E66763CBB.jpeg

Yes for sure, I use it for my 250 gr HPBT, and 285 ELD match as well as my 250 gr scenar. Wondering if it could be used on the 200 gr FTX.. Thanks for the information. Just new to reloading and all the help from guy's go long ways.

using that light bullet , I think N570 is a touch slow . RL26 would be my first choice , followed by RL25 , N560 , IMR7828 , MAGPRO ,

N570 is a good choice for heavier bullets , 300 grain . I use RL33 with 300 gr Bergers in my 30" bbl , lapua .

Yes for sure, I use it for my 250 gr HPBT, and 285 ELD match as well as my 250 gr scenar. Wondering if it could be used on the 200 gr FTX.. Thanks for the information. Just new to reloading and all the help from guy's go long ways.
I'm thinking you're gonna need something a little faster

using that light bullet , I think N570 is a touch slow . RL26 would be my first choice , followed by RL25 , N560 , IMR7828 , MAGPRO ,

N570 is a good choice for heavier bullets , 300 grain . I use RL33 with 300 gr Bergers in my 30" bbl , lapua .
Yeah that seems to be the way it is going, I guess I'll have to order some N560 or N160. The Vihtavuori powder seems to be a little easier to get. Thanks for the input.

Here's some info for you.

I have a 338 rum and during the last shortage I was looking for reloading components. I bought a pile of bullets of the 200 gr ftx because that's all I could find at the time. I did not properly research them before I bought them.

The FTX bullets have a soft rubber tip that are made to be loaded into tube magazines and shot out of lever guns at far lower velocities (2500 fps ish). Out of a lapua or RUM you can get to 3300+ without trying very hard. I got great velocities and great accuracy (with 94 gr retumbo) but for hunting bullets they are far from ideal.

I was shooting about 3320 fps and blasted a mule deer buck at 437 yards. Broadside. Bullet entered behind the shoulder through the ribs and did not stay together long enough to get to the ribs on the other side. Completely disintegrated in about 8 inches. This is just one example of several failures. Shot a cow elk and believe it or not, it didn't make it through the shoulder.

If you're shooting paper and steel, cool.
If you plan to shoot animals, maybe think twice about the terminal performance of this bullet at lapua velocities.

Just something to keep in mind when using a bullet designed for other applications.

Last edited:
Here's some info for you.

I have a 338 rum and during the last shortage I was looking for reloading components. I bought a pile of bullets of the 200 gr ftx because that's all I could find at the time. I did not properly research them before I bought them.

The FTX bullets have a soft rubber tip that are made to be loaded into tube magazines and shot out of lever guns at far lower velocities (2500 fps ish). Out of a lapua or RUM you can get to 3300+ without trying very hard. I got great velocities and great accuracy (with 94 gr retumbo) but for hunting bullets they are far from ideal.

I was shooting about 3320 fps and blasted a mule deer buck at 437 yards. Broadside. Bullet entered behind the shoulder through the ribs and did not stay together long enough to get to the ribs on the other side. Completely disintegrated in about 8 inches. This is just one example of several failures. Shot a cow elk and believe it or not, it didn't make it through the shoulder.

If you're shooting paper and steel, cool.
If you plan to shoot animals, maybe think twice about the terminal performance of this bullet at lapua velocities.

Just something to keep in mind when using a bullet designed for other applications.
I picked these up, because that was all that was available at the time. Had them sitting in the locker and started to think I would load them up. But yes I was planning on using them for shooting paper. With that being said I never realized that they were designed for lever action, nice to know. Thanks for the information. It's great to hear from people that have actually used them. Once again thanks for information.

Yeah that bullet was designed for the 338 Marlin Express cartridge that was a collaboration between Hornady and Marlin in 2006 or so. Pretty cool cartridge with about as much ballistic performance as you can get out of a tubular magazine fed rifle. Marlin introduced their 24" stainless barreled XLR models with that cartridge as well as the 308 Marlin Express, but this was just before Remington bought them and stopped supporting the cartridges. Definitely wouldn't think it would be be a good hunting bullet at Lapua velocities but shouldn't have any problem plinking with them.

Shooting paper was the plan, the store had them on clearance and was nothing else around so I purchased a bunch of them, lol. Thanks for the input

Yeah that seems to be the way it is going, I guess I'll have to order some N560 or N160. The Vihtavuori powder seems to be a little easier to get. Thanks for the input.

i have probably 20lbs of 7828ssc and another. 8lbs of Magpro if you need and would be willing to make a horse trade on some of that N570.