Need some help with powder choices/loads in 280 AI with 150gr bullet and a short throat......

OK, I have plenty of H4831 and RL-26. I will try them with the 150gr pills when they arrive. I appreciate the suggestions of a heavier bullet, BUT, having looked at 4 different bullets that I already have on hand in heavier weights, I just cannot accept that kind of case capacity loss that will result from their needed seating depth.

I have 500 of the Sierra tipped Gameking (Gamechanger) on order in 150gr. Why? Why not.... I have Berger 195, 180, 168. I have Nosler ABLR in 175. I have ELD-X bullets of some variant too. And those are just in .284. They were all way too long, except for a random old 140gr Ballistic Tip. For my .264 guns I also have a dizzying array of bullets from Berger, Hornady.

But no Sierra's for a long time. Any other powder suggestions for the 150s are welcome!! Thanks fellas....
The Berger 175's are not sensitive to seating depth because of their hybrid ogives. Just FYI. I'm loading them up to .095 off the lands and more and they are shooting bugholes. They are nothing like the VLD's

The Berger 175's are not sensitive to seating depth because of their hybrid ogives. Just FYI. I'm loading them up to .095 off the lands and more and they are shooting bugholes. They are nothing like the VLD's

Not that I know more than anyone else, but here's the deal. A VLD bullet in many guns runs out of magazine before it runs out of throat. So people are stuck seating the bullet deeper into the case than they like, due to mag length.

But I am seating the bullet deep into the case because I am hitting the lands too soon. So the 168 Berger Hunter for instance, hits the lands relatively SOONER than the VLD. The Hunter might be great for you folks that have magazine depth issues, but it means that I end up with even more bullet inside my case. I have over 1/2" of magazine to spare. Its the throat that is short. Being able to seat further off the rifling is no use to me whatsoever.

Anyhow, end of rant. I *could* throat the barrel out further, but its a classic 700 BDL with nice wood, 24" heavy sporter barrel conture. Its not a long range gun, and putting the rounds through it to work up a heavy long range bullet that can reach out long enough to really benefit from that extra weight makes little sense. Its really more of a "carry gun" though not really light weight per se.

I get it, this is a Long range hunting site, so we are going to be biased a little. I have a nice Savage LA with a Proof CF barrel in 7 RM that is throwing the 195 EOLs into .5 MOA at around 2850fps. The old 700 BDL is never going to do that, unless I sacrifice the wood, get a chassis, and just use the action as starting material. Decided against that long ago.....

Thanks for listening. We all need some form of therapy these days.!!!!

I am shooting RL-16 with a 155grain bullet and 22" barrel and getting just over 3000fps. I was near 3100 fps and backed off as this is my primary hunting rifle and I wanted to stay away from max. I love RL-16 in 280AI- better velocity than other powders I tried and extremely temperature stable.
I have a second 280AI that I shoot the 168 Berger hybrid hunter and h1000 gets me 2900fps in a 24" tube (Cooper Rifle).
If you're looking in that 150grain bullet weight range-- look at those new Federal Terminal Ascent bullets. Best long-range hunting bullet design IMHO. Will hold together up close, has great bc, and opens up consistently at distance.

Just recently tried IMR4350 54 grains with the new 155 Federal Terminal Ascent Bullets. Shot under an inch, haven't chronograph day yet, but looked promising... couldn't find the RL26, wanted to try something other than RL22. I have some IMR7828sc that I want to try as well.

Federal Terminal Ascent... not great, but left right spread is me on the trigger. One pulled, left. I've heard, if you pull left, but then jerk right.... you'll hit center! 280ai 54 grains of IMR 4350... not much data out there on this bullet yet.

Attachments

• 0044BADA-0260-45BE-A9A1-AF7776604A57.jpeg
    0044BADA-0260-45BE-A9A1-AF7776604A57.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
I am shooting RL-16 with a 155grain bullet and 22" barrel and getting just over 3000fps. I was near 3100 fps and backed off as this is my primary hunting rifle and I wanted to stay away from max. I love RL-16 in 280AI- better velocity than other powders I tried and extremely temperature stable.
I have a second 280AI that I shoot the 168 Berger hybrid hunter and h1000 gets me 2900fps in a 24" tube (Cooper Rifle).
If you're looking in that 150grain bullet weight range-- look at those new Federal Terminal Ascent bullets. Best long-range hunting bullet design IMHO. Will hold together up close, has great bc, and opens up consistently at distance.

Well the Sierra's are on their way, so too late to switch horses there. I've never shot anything, bullet, shot shell or cartridge from Federal that impressed me, but I'd have tried them on your recommendations. I read and researched the RL-16 question some more. Might be great for the lighter bullets. I have 3 lbs of H4350, but it gets ran through my Creed, and buddy's Creed, so I hate to eat into that supply.

I have 8lbs minus a lb or two of the initially mentioned powders. Reading and hearing more, for light bullets, I think the H1000 and RL-26 are not in the running. The MRP (reputed to be similar to RL-22) is a possibility. And several mention H-4831. I also have a lone lb of RL-17 that I could play with. The gun has only 40 rds down the barrel, so it would be OK to use a powder that I don't have much long term use for. Just during the rest of break in. Though people say a hand lapped Bartlein is broke in after 5 shots. Mine certainly is clean already........

Since you already have it, I'd go with either the H4831 or the H1000. If I were going to buy something, I'd probably try Hybrid 100V or IMR 4831.

Well Mary Mother of .....!!!!

Just printed the latest burn chart and opened my powder stash to catalog -- and found a lb of RL-16. Must have bought that on a whim at some point during the powder famines. Just might be my first next try. Wish I could find something that would utilize some of my 8lb stashes (I am very redundant around the RL-26, H1000, Ramshot Magnum burn rates), but alas, not to be with this gun and bullet......

What I did without access to quickload was run a speed test on 3 different powders. You can shoot your ladder at the same time, at least 200 yards distance. With speed and looking for flat spots in vertical and velocity, you should have a clearer picture of how your new Sierras perform with the powders you have.
RE26 should be one of the three choices.
Got to start somewhere, so go run a test. That will get you close to 100 rounds, take a measurement to the lands and start OCW if you do that.
I am throating my SAAMI 280AI chamber down the road as well.

Well the Sierra's are on their way, so too late to switch horses there. I've never shot anything, bullet, shot shell or cartridge from Federal that impressed me, but I'd have tried them on your recommendations. I read and researched the RL-16 question some more. Might be great for the lighter bullets. I have 3 lbs of H4350, but it gets ran through my Creed, and buddy's Creed, so I hate to eat into that supply.

I have 8lbs minus a lb or two of the initially mentioned powders. Reading and hearing more, for light bullets, I think the H1000 and RL-26 are not in the running. The MRP (reputed to be similar to RL-22) is a possibility. And several mention H-4831. I also have a lone lb of RL-17 that I could play with. The gun has only 40 rds down the barrel, so it would be OK to use a powder that I don't have much long term use for. Just during the rest of break in. Though people say a hand lapped Bartlein is broke in after 5 shots. Mine certainly is clean already........

I'd for sure start with the H4831. RL-17 will give you some great velocity but my experience is it is pretty sensitive to temperature changes. You should be able to find a very adequate load with the 4831. Good luck!

Hybrid 100v was mentioned earlier...anyone used or using it....for any rifle?
ie....65284..280ai..26nosler....

Federal Terminal Ascent... not great, but left right spread is me on the trigger. One pulled, left. I've heard, if you pull left, but then jerk right.... you'll hit center! 280ai 54 grains of IMR 4350... not much data out there on this bullet yet.

This is my load with the Terminal Ascent. They liked a little jump in my rifle.

Attachments

• 280AI RL16.jpeg
    280AI RL16.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 81
using reloader 26 with 150 bullet 280AI look att he charge of the 270 win with the 130 you will be right on. If you go to the 160 7mm bullet use the 270 win charge with th140 gr bullet and you will be right on. that was my guide for my 280AI and my results were great.. Hope this helps. also you can use the H-4831 in a good manual the same way but do not use Jack Oconner loads.

If you can get some to try give vv165 a shot it's plain murder with 140 accubonds and I feel would be with 150s as well.Likes 210 primers rather than mag primers also

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.