Need some help with powder choices/loads in 280 AI with 150gr bullet and a short throat......

cdherman

I've been out of circulation for a while, health issues, work etc. But I have a rebarreled 700 Rem, with a 24" Bartlein in 280 AI. Work was done by a very respected smith. After careful break-in with some various old stuff, I tried some Berger 168 VLD with RL-26 and was not impressed.

My Hornady OAL gauge (really tests base to ogive) performed with several bullets indicates a quite short throat, I think its a standard SAAMI reamer which is reputed to have been optimized for a 140gr bullet. So I am downsizing to lighter bullets in this gun for now. Please no recommendations for moving the throat out for heavies, at least for now. I have a 7 RM that likes the 195 EOL, so have that category covered.

So to the point:
-- I have some 150gr tipped bullets ordered (I am not telling which ones, at least not yet)
-- I have a good stock of H4831SC, H1000, Norma MRP, Ramshot Magnum, and RL-26
-- I have some book loads for some of the above, but reading the web for the past few hours, I find little consensus about what to try next. And I am lazy and quite a few miles from the shooting range, so I am hoping a "well aimed" question might help!!! Lots of people say RL-22 and then many say Norma MRP is the same as RL-22. But I favor heat stability.

Thoughts????

4831SC is hard to beat in almost any bullet weight in the 280 AI. I have one rifle that shoots 145 LRX with 4831 SC into .3's & .4's consistently another that shoots 168's with MRP the same ant one other that shoots 160's into tiny groups using N165. I've had some great results in accuracy and velocity with RE22 in a couple 280 AI's and a couple 7SAUM's BUT with a 40-50 degree temp change I've seen change everything.

Good to note that the lighter bullet seemed to be the 4831sc winner. After having spend a couple decades pursuing heavier bullets, 150gr feels like a BB gun throw back to 1983, but I think its the right direction for this gun.

Thanks for the quick first reply!

I think that a 150 is a GREAT bullet weight for this caliber. You should get great velocity for a flat trajectory. So strange that everything has changed in 20-30 years. Everyone wants to shoot HEAVY high BC bullets for LONG RANGE shooting. If you keep hunting shots under 400 yards all the time, I think you want the fastest, flattest flying bullet out of whatever you are shooting with a bullet to suit the game you are hunting.
I usually try 5-6 bullets in a given rifle and go with loading whichever one shows the absolute best accuracy

I'm running the 150 Berger and 4831 in my 280ai. It's the regular 4831 not the sc because I couldn't get my hands on any sc when I was working up the load.

I have actually heard from a couple guys I know who shoot 280AI's that RE26 is THE powder in it for velocity and accuracy using a couple different bullet weights. I have just not been able to get ahold of enough of it to risk finding a SUPER load, then not being able to find enough powder that I'll need

Reloader 23 mag primers 168 Berger classic hunters couldn't get the vld's to work

OK, I have plenty of H4831 and RL-26. I will try them with the 150gr pills when they arrive. I appreciate the suggestions of a heavier bullet, BUT, having looked at 4 different bullets that I already have on hand in heavier weights, I just cannot accept that kind of case capacity loss that will result from their needed seating depth.

I have 500 of the Sierra tipped Gameking (Gamechanger) on order in 150gr. Why? Why not.... I have Berger 195, 180, 168. I have Nosler ABLR in 175. I have ELD-X bullets of some variant too. And those are just in .284. They were all way too long, except for a random old 140gr Ballistic Tip. For my .264 guns I also have a dizzying array of bullets from Berger, Hornady.

But no Sierra's for a long time. Any other powder suggestions for the 150s are welcome!! Thanks fellas....

My cooper 280AI had a short throat too. I shot 168 classic hunters with 4831SC. Wasn't the fastest at 2880 FPS and a 24" barrel, but it shot good.

My old 22" remington mtn rifle 280ai shot 168lrabs good...but the recoil from that liteweight rifle was not fun....didnt hurt the shoulder....just tore up hat brims....
I recently started 140acc with rl26....started at 54gr and hit 61.5gr before first signs pressure...very very slight ejector and bolt swipe.....i stopped there...at 100yd most of the higher,end loads were just creating a bigger hole in the paper...
So built up loads from 60.4-61.3gr...hoping I find a good load in there.....didnt chronograph speed first go around...but will now.....
Another note...new 65284 shot three .75 or less 3 shot groups with rl26.....hoping to improve that also...

Standard sammi chamber in 280ai

OK, I have plenty of H4831 and RL-26. I will try them with the 150gr pills when they arrive. I appreciate the suggestions of a heavier bullet, BUT, having looked at 4 different bullets that I already have on hand in heavier weights, I just cannot accept that kind of case capacity loss that will result from their needed seating depth.

I have 500 of the Sierra tipped Gameking (Gamechanger) on order in 150gr. Why? Why not.... I have Berger 195, 180, 168. I have Nosler ABLR in 175. I have ELD-X bullets of some variant too. And those are just in .284. They were all way too long, except for a random old 140gr Ballistic Tip. For my .264 guns I also have a dizzying array of bullets from Berger, Hornady.

But no Sierra's for a long time. Any other powder suggestions for the 150s are welcome!! Thanks fellas....
I would give hybrid 100v a try with the lighter bullets I have had very good luck with it and it is usually available

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts