need some help with a problem

You could try another stock or if you just want to know if the bedding is screwed up so bad that it's bending stuff, just take the barreled action out of the stock and try bore sighting the barreled action without the stock on it. It would take a tremendous amount of bending to throw it off as far as you say.

Have you checked all bases and rings to make sure they are tight and that nothing has moved or is loose?

I've only run across this on 2 occasions. You can take a coke can or beer can and cut it with a pair of snips or even scissors and make a shim to go under your rear base. Drill the holes for the base screws and cut it so that it is not visible around the base.

Or a better method is to bed the rear and front bases while using a scope alignment tool or your scope to keep them in alignment. Shim the rear base in the center of it with a small piece of coke can and get the bedding up under the base so that the bedding will take the pressure when you screw the base down. Put a little bedding under the front base because it will be minutely slanted as well. Make sure and use a release compound on the base so you don't permanently glue it together.

I would recommend researching bases or rings that are made to correct problems like this, but with an older gun it woud be unlikely that you could find one to fit.

Well it's not looking good I get the same thing with the old stock. I dont understand how this could happen in the blink of an eye! If something was bent this bad I would think I could see it....

turn the turret up, when moving the crosshairs to the target, they move the opposite direction, down moves the crosshairs up and vice versa.
RR

As I read your posts, you had a rifle & scope that worked fine. A gunsmith installed a new stock. When you picked up the rifle, took it to the range, the scope was now broken. Right?

You then installed a new scope and you have a problem zeroing the scope. Right?

If so, first take the rifle back to the gunsmith and let him diagnose the problem with the old scope (for free). If the old scope is worn out and the problem is a coincidence, then ask him to check the new scope. It is possible that the new scope is defective. But more likely, the gunsmith did something wrong. What are the odds of the old scope failing during the restock job AND of you buying a new defective scope? Pretty slim.

Here is a very good possibility:

The rings & bases have been on there for about 4 yrs. Over the winter I had a gunsmith restock it with B&C carbalite stock & had it glassed.
Here is a very good possibility:
I installed a B&C stock (700 ADL)from Midway this winter. The stock was not even close to being a drop-in replacement.
I had to do some major fitting and a lot of bedding compound was needed to do the job properly. I feel the Q.C. at B&C is very poor. If I had not taken the time (a week) to grind, sand, and bed the rifle, there would have been excessive stress in at least 4 points and my rifle barrel would have had over a 1/2" of upward pressure on it. I free floated my barrel.

It is likely the gunsmith did not pay very good attention to details and the stock may need to be rebedded and your barrel free floated. Especially if your stock was any where near as bad as mine was when it was delivered.

How much verticle adjustment is in each scope? It could be that the problem was there all along you just didn't know cause your old scope had enough adjustment. Maybe.

Here's the update I took the barreled action out of the old stock put the new scope on & bore sighted & the same thing. The old scope I put on another rifle bore sighted & seems fine!

A/C- when I took the new stock off it seemed a little tight to me. I thought the old scope was hosed but that is not turning out to be the case.

Learning- you might be right. I'm not sure how to even tell how much adj. each scope has.

Thanks for all the input guys.

At this point I don't even know what to look for! when I was taking the new stock off the screws were not cranked down to where it seemed bent.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.