Need some help with a new shower valve

Tac-O

I'm installing a new shower and put in a Pfister single handle rotating tub/shower kit. The diverter valve has a slow leak after turning the water on for a pressure test. It's coming out of the brass valve body where the valve cartridge meets it.

I have not yet flushed water through. I didn't try greasing the oring on the valve cartridge yet. The valve cartridge mounting screws are tight.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20210116_233152230.jpg
    IMG_20210116_233152230.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 71
I'm installing a new shower and put in a Pfister single handle rotating tub/shower kit. The diverter valve has a slow leak after turning the water on for a pressure test. It's coming out of the brass valve body where the valve cartridge meets it.

I have not yet flushed water through. I didn't try greasing the oring on the valve cartridge yet. The valve cartridge mounting screws are tight.

Thoughts?
LOL, My thoughts are to call a Plumber. LOL, No, really it sounds like you have some loose screws,,, In the valve body assembly, LOL.
It's hard to tell from here, laughing MAO. But I'm willing to help. Good luck, I'm here for the moral support. You can do it.
On a real note, it could be 1 of three things, what you stated and a defective valve. Check the gasket and make sure it is faced properly in its orientation
also. I wish I had a quick fix for you at 2:40am on a Sunday morning. Pluming projects can be a real head scratcher and make you show your true side.
I try not to plumb any thing unless the supply house is open during business hours. I can't plumb anything with out making several trips to get extra parts for the plumbing projects at home. It seems that way every time I have to replace or fix any thing dealing with water. Wish I had a better answer for you. Good luck. ROTFL!!!

Turn off the water to the house. Put a buckle under the valve and loosen the screws up and see if the o ring is damaged, maybe bad brass casting. I think it's the o ring or something in the cartridge. If they gave you grease use it. If you are going to replace the valve try Moen. Its my go to if your not putting something higher end like Kohler or Grohe.
Good luck with it.
Jason

There is a single washer in the rear that may need to be replaced or was not put it in place. Many people forget the washer and think that the gasket is all you need. Now, my statement is made on a 40 year old system, don't know if it is the case with newer ones.

LOL, My thoughts are to call a Plumber. LOL, No, really it sounds like you have some loose screws,,, In the valve body assembly, LOL.
It's hard to tell from here, laughing MAO. But I'm willing to help. Good luck, I'm here for the moral support. You can do it.
On a real note, it could be 1 of three things, what you stated and a defective valve. Check the gasket and make sure it is faced properly in its orientation
also. I wish I had a quick fix for you at 2:40am on a Sunday morning. Pluming projects can be a real head scratcher and make you show your true side.
I try not to plumb any thing unless the supply house is open during business hours. I can't plumb anything with out making several trips to get extra parts for the plumbing projects at home. It seems that way every time I have to replace or fix any thing dealing with water. Wish I had a better answer for you. Good luck. ROTFL!!!

Did you assemble any of the leaking components? If not, I'd take it back out and return it to the store. If it's defective right out of the box, let the manufacturer send it back to China for repairs after you exchange it for a (hopefully) good one.

Turn off the water to the house. Put a buckle under the valve and loosen the screws up and see if the o ring is damaged, maybe bad brass casting. I think it's the o ring or something in the cartridge. If they gave you grease use it. If you are going to replace the valve try Moen. Its my go to if your not putting something higher end like Kohler or Grohe.
Good luck with it.
Jason

There is a single washer in the rear that may need to be replaced or was not put it in place. Many people forget the washer and think that the gasket is all you need. Now, my statement is made on a 40 year old system, don't know if it is the case with newer ones.

I have only seen a few of these that have leaked. Everyone that I had that leaked I returned if possible.

Here's something I forgot to mention. This is the second time it's happened. I had the same valve put in yesterday (new) and it leaked. Luckily I caught it before screwing the backer board up because it was slower than this was. I pulled that cartridge out, inspected and didn't find any damage, reseated it, and it still leaked.

So I took that one back and got the same one. This one looks slightly updated because the valve stem is brass instead of plastic. This one leaks too but worse!!

I didn't use any heat on the body.

I was thinking it's got to be something I did or didn't do, because what's the chances of it happening with two it in the same day that are obviously manufactured at quite different times?

I opened a few kits before bringing home a second one and the Moen and Delta kits fit and finish seemed sub par, which is why I went with this one. If Moen and Kohler are ahead of Pfister, I may just go get one of those.

The manual says nothing about leaks or inspecting the cartridge, or using grease on the oring.

Bud, if this the second valve leaking take it back and get something different. Moen is nothing special but has great customer service which I hardly use, only 2 different cartridges and super easy to install and trim out. If you want quality try Kohler. I have been plump for 20 years and most of the time it has been super high end stuff German valves Grohe, Hangrohe, and Dornbrach. Just my 2 cents
Jason

Bud, if this the second valve leaking take it back and get something different. Moen is nothing special but has great customer service which I hardly use, only 2 different cartridges and super easy to install and trim out. If you want quality try Kohler. I have been plump for 20 years and most of the time it has been super high end stuff German valves Grohe, Hangrohe, and Dornbrach. Just my 2 cents
Jason

Thats what I'm going to do. Hopefully there's a Kohler in town that I like.

Here's something I forgot to mention. This is the second time it's happened. I had the same valve put in yesterday (new) and it leaked. Luckily I caught it before screwing the backer board up because it was slower than this was. I pulled that cartridge out, inspected and didn't find any damage, reseated it, and it still leaked.

So I took that one back and got the same one. This one looks slightly updated because the valve stem is brass instead of plastic. This one leaks too but worse!!

I didn't use any heat on the body.

I was thinking it's got to be something I did or didn't do, because what's the chances of it happening with two it in the same day that are obviously manufactured at quite different times?

I opened a few kits before bringing home a second one and the Moen and Delta kits fit and finish seemed sub par, which is why I went with this one. If Moen and Kohler are ahead of Pfister, I may just go get one of those.

The manual says nothing about leaks or inspecting the cartridge, or using grease on the oring.
I would take it back and get the Moen brand. I have had good luck with the Moen fixtures. I'm Sorry for my choice of words this morning but I really thought you were kidding, being you posted this on a Hunting forum. LOL Yep, yesterday it was one of them days on the LRH forum. Not a bad day at all, just some Simi funny posters, posting.
I hope by now you have it figured out and have the leak fixed. Good luck and it was nice to see that every one else chimed in to help also. People just don't get any better than that in my book.,,, And I apologize again, for my non-serious side prevailing in my reply, early this morning.
Dale

I would take it back and get the Moen brand. I have had good luck with the Moen fixtures. I'm Sorry for my choice of words this morning but I really thought you were kidding, being you posted this on a Hunting forum. LOL Yep, yesterday it was one of them days on the LRH forum. Not a bad day at all, just some Simi funny posters, posting.
I hope by now you have it figured out and have the leak fixed. Good luck and it was nice to see that every one else chimed in to help also. People just don't get any better than that in my book.,,, And I apologize again, for my non-serious side prevailing in my reply, early this morning.
Dale

No worries! I enjoyed your humorous response. I know there's some smart guys on here and likely plumbers too and that everyone is always willing to help solve problems! That's why I figured it would be a good place to ask. I spent way too much time on it yesterday and I need my bathroom back haha.

I did end up going with a Moen. I'm pressure testing right now so fingers crossed!

Heck yea I think I'm good now!!

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I sincerely appreciate it. My wife asked me late last night why I was asking a hunting forum about it and I told her I know there's some people who would know more than I and they're always willing to help out! And I don't need to join a plumbing diy forum as well 😂 thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.