Need some help on choices M1, M2 or Cds dials for leupold?

buckand bull

Hello All, ok I am a newbie to the long range thing and I dont want to waste money on the wrong equipment. I am confused on which product to go with the M1, M2, or Cds dials for either just elevation or both windage and elevation?

I am shooting a 300 win mag floated barrel, 2.5 pound trigger, 180 grain hornady sst. The scope I am buying is the 4.5 14x40mm Long range side focus duplex leupold. I want to be able to practice and shoot out to 600 yards.

I was thinking the cds but the only issue is I would have to get them for my home state to practice, then every other state I will be hunting. I do want something that is pretty easy for a beginner though. I have also heard a lot of guys dont mess with getting a windage M1, CDS turret. Is that a good idea because how do u compensate the wind if needed?

Anyways what do you guys think is best?

I know if anybody knows its all the folks on this site

Thanks in advance!!

Buck
I have several Leupold scopes all have been modified by the custom shop one way or another
I would get the scope with the BC reticle in it and then have the cds turret installed.
If you order it with standard moa marks it will be just like the M1 just shorter
if you do not ever plan on shooting past 700-800 yards order it with a zero stop with one turn you should be able to get somewhere between 700-800 yards.
If you plan to go further have them leave the stop out.
As far a changing location/alt ect get a good ballistic software to work your drop chart and just print out new ones for where you are going
works preety good
retiredcpo

retiredcpo,
That is what I looked and here is probably a silly question, but if you have the BC reticle dont you just use the hash marks for different ranges(holdover) or is there marks for windage? If so would the cds dial be for windage or is it for elevation and do you make the adjustment for the yardage and use the coordinating hash mark?

I totaly plan on whatever I do to make charts for different locations and adjust with one turret.

I really dont plan on shooting out past 700 yards for awhile atleast, just looking for the best setup.

Thanks in advance

Yes, You use the small tree type reticule for hold over, depending on zero, might get you to 500-600. The arms of the hash extend for a wind hold of something like 10 mph at 90 degree. I dont know how it works when you order, cds mine where retro. I received a custom and a "plain" moa dial, yes elevation. I use the last small hash as a reference and dial of that, w/ drops on rifle, on a moa dial, and have custom also for a different rifle.

Yes you use the reticle for both hold over and wind
The BC reticle only gives you one referance point for wind while the varmit hunters gives you two
Where the point the reticle hits depends on a lot of things bullet weight , BC vel
alt temp ect
the varmit hunters gives you one more holdover point than the Boon and crocket
The reticle is a good system by itself so is the CDS turret
the reticle will only get you to aroud 600 yards
with both you have the advantages of both and you can dial out past where your reticle is good too
Agood rule of thumb i like to use is figure the max range you think you will be shooting to and add a few hundred yards once you hit your max you will want more so plan it into your build
retiredcpo

Ok its making sense now, so I will get the 4.5 14x 40 long range with BC reticle and the CDS. I can use the BC hash marks out to 500 yards and if I need to shoot past that range, I can adjust CDS for further shots correct?lightbulb

If thats the case I agree that sounds better, because I wont have to make any adjustments unless past 500 yards. I like the sound of that!!

Is that what you do retiredcpo?

Thanks

Yep pretty much
I use a 100 yard zero on my 300 WSM (which is set up close to what you will be setting up)
use the reticle for quick shots out to 500 yards and dial out past that.
If i have time on a closer shot ill dial it up just because i feel its more acurate.
But it works great
retiredcpo

That is a great sytem, I like that a lot. It makes sense and I like that you have the best of both worlds.

Out of curisity what do you do for wind adjustments out past 500 yards? Sorry last question, I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks in advance
Patrick

To put it simply I dont do anything the reticle gives you some hold points for a 5 mile wind. If im hunting big game I would not take the shot since its beyond the range or capibilites i have placed on the rig. I would use a different rig or get closer
If it was a rock chuck varmit yote or something I would use kentucky windage.
How ever a good Balistic program will give you wind adjustments so if you want to play in the wind have the turrets installed for both elevation and windage. I had that done on my daughters rig and it works good I had a special cds turrets installed for wind.
Retired Cpo

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.