Need some help looking for opnions/ideas for scout rifle build

Never used one, but when they first came out there were issues and they upgraded to Accutrigger and accustock.

Jammer, did the model you experience have those upgrades?

No, it was the original after it was first introduced. The stock was molded off center and the barrel was bearing right up against it. Additionally, the bore was so rough it was a nightmare to clean. After sending it back to Savage, they replaced the barrrel but sent it back with the same stock with the note"It is a free floating barrel"! Apparently someone didnt completely read the note that I sent with the rifle or make notes of our phone conversation because it had the same 1/8" gap on one side and solid contact between the barrel and stock on the other. After sending it back a second time, the stock was finally replaced. It still didnt shoot worth a **** and had a terrible trigger. By this time I was disgusted with it and couldnt rid myself of it fast enough.

I never have cared for Savage rifles but took a chance on that one. Never again.

No, it was the original after it was first introduced. The stock was molded off center and the barrel was bearing right up against it. Additionally, the bore was so rough it was a nightmare to clean. After sending it back to Savage, they replaced the barrrel but sent it back with the same stock with the note"It is a free floating barrel"! Apparently someone didnt completely read the note that I sent with the rifle or make notes of our phone conversation because it had the same 1/8" gap on one side and solid contact between the barrel and stock on the other. After sending it back a second time, the stock was finally replaced. It still didnt shoot worth a **** and had a terrible trigger. By this time I was disgusted with it and couldnt rid myself of it fast enough.

I never have cared for Savage rifles but took a chance on that one. Never again.

That realy sucks I have owned one Savage and it was great.

I have to see pics now that you told me about the rifle its a must!

This isnt a very good picture. It isnt in scout trim. After moving to western Oklahoma where the ranges are long, it needed more optic. It wears a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 in alloy Seekins rings. I did retain the Ching Sling though. It is the greatest sling/shooting aid ever devised. It wasnt cheap but I will never part with it.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2149436760105340724jRIUQr

Last edited:
It was a mount that attached to the front scope mounting holes and extended foreward over the barrel. Cant remember who made it at the moment. I sold it at a fun show a while back.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts