Need some help identifying grandfather's collection

Not that I have any expert knowledge, but that action looks an awful lot like a pre-war Mauser. Love the stock contours...

Not a clue lol really wanna shoot the thing tho
I'm pretty sure that's a Mauser 98, a view of any markings on the front receiver ring, or left side of the action could give insight to the exact year and place of mfg.
Set triggers need the inletting to be exact to work properly. That's why there are what you described as "pillars" to keep the proper spacing between the bottom metal and receiver. Any rot or swelling of the wood will disturb this spacing causing the trigger(s) to be off.

I'm pretty sure that's a Mauser 98, a view of any markings on the front receiver ring, or left side of the action could give insight to the exact year and place of mfg.
Set triggers need the inletting to be exact to work properly. That's why there are what you described as "pillars" to keep the proper spacing between the bottom metal and receiver. Any rot or swelling of the wood will disturb this spacing causing the trigger(s) to be off.
The marking I showed are the only one that I can find unfortunately

Hi there, greetings from Germany!

the marking "7,8" means bullet diameter .318"! Don't use "normal" 8mm Mauser ammunition, as it uses .323" bullets! That would be caliber 8x57 IS.

Your rifle is probably caliber "8x57I" without the S, with the smaller .318-bullet.
To be sure you could push a piece of pure lead with a cleaning rod through the barrel and measure the diameters of the lands, which will be imprinted in the lead.

The trigger is a "Deutscher Stecher". It's a kind of match-trigger. First you pull the rear trigger until you hear a click. Then the forward trigger will react to a very (!) light touch and release the firing pin.
Behind the forward trigger is probably a little srew. With that, you can adjust the trigger pull of the forward trigger.
Have fun with it!

Agree, I have a 3-4 double set trigger Mauser 98's, and one can get the bottom screws to tight and also there is a set screw in the assemble that can loosen up, which prevents the triggers from working - I've used plumber's tape to stabilize that set screw - a smith who specializes on Mauser guided me in the right direction. Looks like a great gun and a great keepsake!

Agree, I have a 3-4 double set trigger Mauser 98's, and one can get the bottom screws to tight and also there is a set screw in the assemble that can loosen up, which prevents the triggers from working - I've used plumber's tape to stabilize that set screw - a smith who specializes on Mauser guided me in the right direction. Looks like a great gun and a great keepsake!
I believe I have an extra double set Mauser trigger that looks very close to yours!

the marking "7,8" means bullet diameter .318"! Don't use "normal" 8mm Mauser ammunition, as it uses .323" bullets! That would be caliber 8x57 IS.

Your rifle is probably caliber "8x57I" without the S, with the smaller .318-bullet.
To be sure you could push a piece of pure lead with a cleaning rod through the barrel and measure the diameters of the lands, which will be imprinted in the lead.

The trigger is a "Deutscher Stecher". It's a kind of match-trigger. First you pull the rear trigger until you hear a click. Then the forward trigger will react to a very (!) light touch and release the firing pin.
Behind the forward trigger is probably a little srew. With that, you can adjust the trigger pull of the forward trigger.
Have fun with it!
It is very kind of you to provide such valuable information. Thank you from all of us.

Have fun with it!
I pull the rear trigger and the set trigger does move and is a light pull but it doesn't release the firing pin. You have to keep pulling as of the set was never set. If any of that makes sense

I think, that you have to adjust it with the screw behind the set trigger. It should be able to adjust as low as 1 oz trigger pull.
Also the rifle has to be cocked! The rear and set trigger will always work, but the bolt is only released, when cocked.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.