Need some help here about scope rings

savagelover

:cool: Ok here is the problem....My son has to shoot right handed but has to
use his left eye for looking thru the scope. .So we have to come up with
some higher bases or higher rings...Any idea are welcome if you have them.

Thanks,Johnlightbulb forgot to say his right eye is half blind from disease..and
left arm is bad as well..so he has no choice but to shoot right and sight left..

Last edited:
Yes, you need tall rings and perhaps offset rings. What type of rifle and shooting? How you set up the rifle will depend somewhat on the type of shooting. It will be easier to for him to shoot with the rifle canted to the left (CCW). Shooting long range with the rifle canted will require some training because he has to zero differently than you would. He can target shoot with the rifle canted at short range without much of a problem.

Appreciate your kind and thought our reply..We have been talking with a few F Class shooters and they recommend cutting the comb down on the stock..Which does make sense..But that decision will have to be his.It has a lamenated stock so it should be an easy job to do it.It is a Savage rifle.Not sure of the model..BVS******
or something like that..I never really thought about the ofset scope mount..I wonder how rouged they would be..And it's a 223 cal....Thanks again...John
:rolleyes:

If your son is mostly interested in bench rest shooting, I would recommend doing both: high/offset rings and a modified stock. A scope on a heavy .223 rifle will not have a problem with the offsets.

I would attach 45 degree accessory rials to the rail on the receiver, then mount the scope to the 45 degree rails using extra high rings. Then I would mod the stock to get a comfortable cheek weld.

The key is getting a comfortable shooting position that doesn't put strain on his neck. If the shooting position is awkward, he probably won't get tight groups.

Cant the rifle if that's what works best for him. When he works out the best shooting position, rotate the scope in the rings so that the reticle is level in that position. Attach an anti-cant indicator to the scope tube (not the rail) so that he can always get back to the same rifle cant.

Zero the rifle normally. Be aware that changing target range will always require a significant windage adjustment. For hunting he should zero differently. Let me know if he is planning to hunt or change target range frequently.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.