Need some help and advice

swebb38

Does anybody know what the 300 H&H necked up to 338 would be? Is there a cartridge that is just a straight neck up? I was going through my hornady manual but cant seem to see anything based exactly on the parent case.
Lots of cartidges based on, but I was wondering what it would do, I have 5 300 H&H's and was thinking of playing with one to see what I could get.

The only reason of thinking about it is I have 3 of these guns are rem 721's and I get a gun with a 28 inch barrel weighing in around 8-10 lbs which is nice for carry, There is no recoil at all without a break, but would the 338 be ballistically better for longer shots, over the 30 cal and would I be able to increase the powder load, necking it up to a straighter wall case.
Any help or advice would be great....this is just a tinker case, nothing real serious unless it would make a better round and it wasnt already available.
Stacy

I'm sure at some point sombody necked the 300H&H to 338 on their way to 375H&H. Most of the moder magnums got their start from the H&H cases but their were shortened and inproved , neck up and down and about everything else one can think of to basterdise a case.

I woulden't bother with a regular H&H case , the brass gows to fast and an Ackley improved case with good brass will just about match it till the realy heavy bullets are used and with alot less powder.

I'm not to sure how you figure that a 338H&H in a 9lb gun isin't gonna kick , I hunt with a guy that had a 338-06 Improved , his rig weighs in at around 9lbs scoped and it has a VERY noticable kick to it with no brake , 3-4 shots is all I want to shoot at one time and I'm not realy recoil sensitive. Shooting a 225gr bullet at 2500fps is gonna generate a fair amout of recoil no matter what the case. This same guy has a 340Wby which is a blownout and improved 300H&H case , in a 8.5 lb gun with no scope it flat out sucks to shoot ,it kicks like a mule , so figuring that the 338 H&H would be somwhere between the 338-06 and 340Wby I personaly feel that the recoil will be stout.

no kick

Actually that was what I was wondering....I get no recoil with the 300 H&H shooting 180's at 3100. I was trying to determine what the difference might be if I played with the 338 H&H. I have shot 25 rounds at one sitting and never felt more than a slight push.....but going to a 300 grn 338, big difference. I know that there are much better rounds to play with for long range, but this is just a hobby I am considering to waste time and see what I get. BTW I have shot the 340 WBy and it does hurt a bit, but the absolute worst kick I have ever had was a 30 year old 7 mag. It literally twisted me around and I weight 270. That one hurt bad LOL.
Anyway thanks for the input James
Stacy

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.