Need some good advise

birddog67

Ok here is the deal bought a used 700 rem 300 ultra mag not shot over 10 times , did not like the stock so I bought a Houge stock I saw the on a couple rifles and liked them . So I took the gun out and shot it @100 2 inch groups , now took it to my gun smith , having it Teflon coated and brake put in it looking at $500.00 +150.00 for a new trigger factory one stinks, so now for a scope , I know this will be opinion every ones , I have leupolds on my other rifles now ,so I'm looking at ziess 4x15-50 , I can get them for around 800.00 or a leupold4.5x14-50 with CDS turrent , I like this option , for the same price or a Swarovski 4x14-50 with a ballistic turrent $1000.00 so my question is do I put the money in this gun or look for something already built and then put glass on it? This gun will be used for hunting shooting 4-500 yards any help would be grateful , thanks

Ok here is the deal bought a used 700 rem 300 ultra mag not shot over 10 times , did not like the stock so I bought a Houge stock I saw the on a couple rifles and liked them . So I took the gun out and shot it @100 2 inch groups , now took it to my gun smith , having it Teflon coated and brake put in it looking at $500.00 +150.00 for a new trigger factory one stinks, so now for a scope , I know this will be opinion every ones , I have leupolds on my other rifles now ,so I'm looking at ziess 4x15-50 , I can get them for around 800.00 or a leupold4.5x14-50 with CDS turrent , I like this option , for the same price or a Swarovski 4x14-50 with a ballistic turrent $1000.00 so my question is do I put the money in this gun or look for something already built and then put glass on it? This gun will be used for hunting shooting 4-500 yards any help would be grateful , thanks

I don't see anything wrong with the above set up with a Swarovski 4x14-50 with a ballistic turrent!

Anything you spend on good optics, 20 MOA picatinny base, tactical rings should be money well spent whether you keep this rifle or not. ...provided you end up with a rifle that's based on the Rem 700 long action. So, I don't think you need to hold back there.

Same goes for a good aftermarket trigger and the Hogue stock.

On the other hand, I would be concerned about 2" groups at 100 yds. A muzzle brake will surely help. So, $150-200 for a good brake installation is probably worthwhile.

Although, I'm not sure I'd spend money on Teflon coating until it consistently shoots MOA or better.

Your smith should be able to help you assess why it didn't shoot better. Some of the more obvious things that you may already have considered...

- ammo selection
- trigger
- scope/mounting
- stock fit, bedding, and barrel floated
- bench rest and technique

I like the Hogue stocks. But, even those should be bedded and properly torqued.

Rather than dump this rifle and purchase a custom job, you may simply want to have it rebarrelled with a good custom barrel and get the action trued or even blueprinted. Kevin Cram (www.mcrifles.com) just posted a couple of videos showing how he does it and his prices look very reasonable.

Here's that thread...
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/blueprinting-remingotn-action-video-mcr-67757/

Hope this helps!
Richard

I shot the gun 10 times , stock was not bedded , and barrel was not free floating , and they were 150 gr managed recoil factory load , the trigger was bad ! I think she will be a good shooter , glass will be my bigest choice I like my leupolds , ziess look good also , but the swarovski looked the clearest , so I just need to decide on this , also I am looking at 168 grn barnes TSX 6545 FPS loads I think this will give me the best all around bullet options but will not rule out 180s grns . thanks for all the help .

While nothing is wrong with those scopes mentioned, I am not a Leupy fan. The Zeiss is a 1" tube I think so you may run out of elevation. The Swaro has good glass. It's a winner, but pricy. If it were me, I'd look into the Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP with the EBR-1 MRAD reticle for 8-900$ or the Trijicon Accupoint for around the same.

The Trijicon is cool as it appears to have great glass, it doesn't take batteries for the illuminated reticle, and even though it's a SFP, they designed the Mil Dot reticle to be used on Max power, rather than 10x or 12x like most SFP scopes. Thats bonus. That said, the reticle on the Vortex scopes is better than the Trijicon imho. I would take a Swaro, but not over these two.:D

also I want to put better rings on these are the talley the best for the price ? I am leaning toward the swarovski , but have not pulled the trigger ...:D

This gun will be used for hunting shooting 4-500 yards any help would be grateful , thanks
4-500 yds is not asking much for the cartridge and any of the scopes mentioned.

I am a Leupold fan. But, I suggest you pick the scope that has the features you like best for the type of hunting that you will do.

Beware of too much magnification. 20x is great for targets. But, 14x is sufficient for what you described.

It's nice to have repeatable turrets to dial when you have time. A custom BDC turret based on your actual shooting results is best.

It's also nice to have a useful reticule that allows you to hold for wind and/or elevation when called for and also to be able to range targets if needed. ...but, not too cluttered.

A lot of folks seem to be down on Huskemaw since Aaron left. But, it's still a great scope/system that's proven in the field.

I would mount an EGW 20 MOA picatinny rail and Burris Tactical Elite rings (or equivalent). You will be glad you did if you ever want to swap scopes between rifles and/or try some long range shooting at 1k or farther.

--richard

the factory barrel is not going to be as accurate as a krieger. quickest way to an accurate load.

Lots of great info guys thanks just wonder about a tactical mount that he was talking about , will tally rings work with that are Talleys my best option with the Swarovski ?

If you go with a picatinny base, then Talley Picatinny rings will work.

I like Burris Tactical Elite for the width plus 6 screws and the price is right.

But, Talley, Leupold Mark 4, Nightforce will all work. That's the beauty of the picatinny mil spec.

Test test I dont know where to reply!

I have learned the hard way, spend the money on a super nice custom job!!( you will be happier in the end)

Last edited:
Great gear list. A swaro on great rings with a 20 moa rail. I like the Warne rings and bases.
Shoot what you have for a while before you invest a bunch of money in anything that is not bolt on. The rifle may really shoot when you work up some good loads.
Check out the new Vortex scopes, 6x24 would be a great choice for that rifle. The ultra has some great potential at longer range. Try it out with some 185 Bergers or the the 208 Amax.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.