Need some fellow gunsmith advice- Ruger .22/45

Took it out yesterday to test and she ran like a sweing machine... for the most part. It cycled my remington thunderbolts and federal american eagles like a champ - but the rounds I expected to work best- CCI mini mags (at least i think they were, cci stamped and copper colored hp) stopped the pistol cold. They immediately jammed against the feed ramp, stopping the bolt. They didnt even make it out of the mag. couldnt even hand cycle those. Weird...
Otherwise, I think a thorough cleaning was all it needed, I was just perplexed that a pistol with this little use on it would be malfunctioning, and it didnt seem very dirty anyways... Ive seen other Ruger 22s running a LOT dirtier than this one!!
Again, I dont like the mag catch... if you insert it with a bolt locked back, all seems normal. If you insert it on a closed bolt, you have to press hard on it to get it to latch. Both factory mags are like this, and are different than standard MK-X mags (the mag catch is behind the trigger rather than on the bottom of the grip.)

Thanks for everyone's assistance!

Open the front of the feed lips just a bit with a pair of needle nose pliers and then burnish the front area with some fine crocous cloth. Ruger bangs the mags out so the lips are probably too tight.

On the feed ramp, I use a cylindrical stone in 500 grit to polish that too. The bullets will feed better.

Keep 'er oiled and give it back. Tell the owner (show) him how to pull the barrel and clean it properly. You should be good to go.

The dowel pin that holds the loaded chamber indicator is a slip fit so you need to tell him to make sure it don't fall out when the barrel is pulled.

All the mags insert hard because you have to overcome the spur spring pressure (thats the spring that rides the back of the mag well with the long, bent leg).

I run Volks' extended mag releases on all mine. I can shoot a mag into the next shooting station if I want to.... not that I do.

All the Ruger 22 semi auto pistols beg for hopping up...IMO.

I have issues with my MK III doing the same (jamming the bullet into the feedramp), and it is in the magazine. I have a bunch of Remmington rounds that I use, and I find that if the nose of the first round is lifted upward, it loads just fine. I can't help but think it's shaving bullets from time to time while shooting it.

I'm thinking on the same lines as sidecar that the magazine feed lips are just a bit on the tight side.

I ended up polishing the feed ramp with a fine cratex bullet point and finishing it off with a felt wheel and some super fine red rouge polishing compound.
I loosened the lips up a bit too.
Customer got to shoot it for the very first time yesterday when she picked it up and was happier than a puppy with two peters lol.
Thanx everyone for all the assistance. i just took in 3 more, so ill be posting another soon lol

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.