• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Need some boots!

So after doing the $200 and under boot thing for several years my answer is NO! Wet, cold, sore/blistered feet equals bad hunting experience.
One question, what type of hunting do you do mostly?
Depending on the type of hunting you are doing opinions may very but I will suggest saving up for a good pair of boots. I was sold on kennatrek until my father-in-law bought a pair. He was very happy with the fit and support but he has now returned them two or three times because they have not stayed water proof. And they were very uncomfortable on my feet.
I ended up buying a pair of Lowa Tibet gtx hi uninsulated.
Very happy with them so far, hunted from above treeline elk hunting to the hi desert to the planes of North Dakota. From -20* to 75* feet have never been cold or too hot. They have very good support and traction but not so stiff to be uncomfortable. They did take a bit to break in but we're not uncomfortable to begin with.
Take the time to try on several different boots or buy them from online retailers that allows you to return them if they don't fit.
Good luck

A lot of walking and hiking these boots are not it.

But I hunt GA, VA and walk maybe 2 miles daily hunting... to stand, back, lunch, another stand in evening... walking like that..

Muck Artic Pros can't be beat... waterproof, calf high, and very warm....I switched 4 years ago and will never wear anything else for eastern deer hunting...

Out west the other suggestions are great for a lot of walking...

Mucks are so easy to slip on and off and no laces to mess with..

You can find new military boots on eBay from returning troops. I have a pair of Danner Combat Hikers I picked up 4-years ago, still going strong with hundreds of miles on them. They are gore Tex and insulated. Made in USA (Berry Compliant). I paid about a hundred for mine back when purchased. I wear mine to train and for back pack hunting. I am a heavy guy and have packed out close to a hundred pounds of gear including deer over 7-miles wearing these boots.

Danner Mountain Combat Hiker Boots SOF Issued Model 43513X Sz 13 NWOT | eBay

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Just a suggestion but ...ask a tradesman (building, metal working trades) who wears boots all day long, I gave up on expensive hiking/hunting boots decades ago..... my choice for the past few decades is Steel Wolf Steel blues ...but I'm in Oz so... good luck

from personal experience, I would recommend against lathrop and sons (and definitely don't fall for the synergy footbed scam). rei is much better with a 1 year return policy or shoebuy.com. after trying numerous brands, including ordering a pair of lowa's from lathrop, i found kennetrek's to be the most comfortable.

I`m a working man to.,..... buy DANNER boots..... and don`t look back..... every time you put them on .. you`ll smile......... and no break in req`d..........
bill

if you must have insulation, the Danner elk hunter is awesome. it's like walking on 1000 dancing fairies.

the combat hiker is a terrible boot

Salomon and Asolo are fantastic backcountry hikers. Vasque St. Elias is a great boot too.

check sierra trading post for Asolo

and every boot requires break in, even an approach shoe.

also, it's wise to try different insoles once you've found a good boot.

I hunt in Ga, Al, Ky and In. and I use muck -10 degrees boots for stand hunting and have had very good and comfortable service with them. very different than the out west type hunting.