Need some advise on my Savage 110

xbowhntr

I bought a Savage 110 .300 Win mag about a month ago and have been getting it set up - scope, recoil pad and trigger job . I'm a do it yourself kind of person been working on my own guns since I was 14 yrs old and this is one thing I dont want to tear up . The Savage has the blind magazine and when I tried load some rounds in the mag to see how it was going to feed you could barely push them in , then they were all point down and the bolt would not pick them up. I tried to get the magazine well out but didnt want to damage it by prying in the wrong place ! So what is the correct way to get the mag off the action to work on the feed lips ? :rolleyes:

Use a crescent wrench on the back wall of the mag box to pry the tab loose from the action. Is the follower installed correctly?

Yes the follower is working fine its the feed lips that are to tight and one side is bowed in some but could not get the right angle to bend the lips out. Could you illustrate the procedure more , I dont want to damage it if possible !! Thanks for your help !!:)

try to file in place to open up both of the ones i removed to switch to dbm have bent or cracked the tab make shure to clean trigger real good or remove it

Place the barreled action muzzle up on a non-marring surface with the barrel pointing slightly away from you and the mag facing you. Then take a heavy rubber mallet and hit the end of the mag box so that it will flex and come out of the tab slots. I have done this and it is crude but effective. I tried several different ways to remove mine and someone told me of this method and it works. You can use this method to re-install the mag also.

BTW, what you have decribed sounds more like the COAL of your cartridges is excessive for what your magazine box will accomodate, or am I missing something? My Savage model 111 in 270Win wouldn't feed correctly when I bought it used and I checked the mag box and somebody had done a bubba treatment to the feed lips of the mag, and I am assuming tried to correct the non-feeding issue. I replaced the mag with a new one from Brownell's and reduced the angle of the feed ramp in the action, and for a finale I stoned the follower fluting so that the cartridges would snug up more under the lefthand feed lips better and , voila, at works like it was supposed to. What I am trying to say with so many words is that I would caution you about altering the feed lips of your magazine because it can make the situation worse.

The COAL of the cartridge is not the problem . You can not feed the shells in from the top, the lips on the mag are to close together this is what the problem is . Once I can get them opened up it should feed fine . I have had problems with other brands of rifles before but never had a mag that was this involved to get off the action . I have a Interarms Mark X that had feed problems with a blind mag but it was simple to fix ! Thanks for the info I will try the rubber mallet method and see if it works . I have been at the range and just used it like a single shot :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.