Need some advice on picking a scale.

At $389 at Cabelas I might stray away from the ChargeMaster Lite unless I get told all the other options are junk. Also, the Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper is essentially the same as the ChargeMaster Lite but with a few extra features but it's new for 2019 with little information or reviews on it. Everything else from Frankford seems to be favorably reviewed though and so I added it to the list.

The Charge Master Lite is $289.99. The RCBS ChargeMaster Combo is the $379.97 item at Cabela's. The coupon deal from RCBS expires on the 17th., Tomorrow, for $100 off.

Agree with many above. Start with a good beam scale, magnetically damped, of course.There is a knack to it, but you can get pretty quick with practice.

perfect example of why NOT TO BUY A *** JUNK SCALE and how to load real slow.
*** may drift, quality does not

If your only loading 30 to 50 rounds in a session, then...
  1. Absolutely purchase a quality set of calibration weights.
  2. Buy any *** digital scale, ALL of them will drift +-0.3 grains over a period of 10 minutes and require recalibration, unless your Okay with errors in your weights.
  3. Purchase a good beam balance,
Now,
  • Insure your reloading table is level, not exposed to any drafts and do not put a heat source of 'bright' lights near your beam balance.
  • Learn & get familiar with your beam balance setting it up. calibrating it with no weight & your desired charge weight(s).
  • Use the sexy digital *** to get you into the ball park, use the balance beam scale to insure precision and check your calibration frequently during your reloading session.

I use a Dillion digital & RCBS beam and yes the Dillion drifts it's a more expensive digital ***,and needs to be reset every 5 or six charges, else I just ignore it and watch which way it's drifting from it's original zero. My calibration weights and worth every penny & my life, I would not weigh / hand load charges without them.

fake discount. shop on line and run from cabelas.
i paid less than 200 for my lite delivered
i closed my account after years and years. the bASS pro people have ruined cabelas.
The Charge Master Lite is $289.99. The RCBS ChargeMaster Combo is the $379.97 item at Cabela's. The coupon deal from RCBS expires on the 17th., Tomorrow, for $100 off.

no it cals to .02 not .01, .02 steps

I use the Lyman DPS digital to dispense a charge then weigh it on a Gemtec pro digital to fine tune it and lastly put it on an rcbs 505 mechanical. The reason I use all 3 to check the charge is I've found that the Lyman is not consistent all the time, I'd say it's a 50% accurate scale usually throughing +/- .3 grains. I've been very pleased with the Gemtec, it will calculate to .01 gr instead of .1 gr. Hope this helps with your decision.

I recommend the Gemtec pro 250, I think you could find them for $100-$150

Just a word of caution, (as many have suggested) buying a used Ohaus or similar beam scale can be great but, as I learned first hand many years ago, you may be buying someone else's problem. Unfortunately, my beam scale had a rough spot that despite proper cleaning and procedure, would sometimes hang. Always, ALWAYS, use good calibration weights to be sure of your starting point and check periodically to maintain your desired accuracy.
Personally, I do weigh every powder charge but I don't shoot high volume or compete, I just shoot for fun and for food.
I guess it's just my fanaticism, but I figure if I can reduce variances as much as possible (within financial constraints) the rest is on me and my shooting form. Like many, I've tried numerous cheaper electronic scales, with varying degrees of inaccuracy and frustration. So, I too am looking for a better quality electronic that will achieve .02 gn consistent accuracy without breaking the banor frustrating the out of me when it's supposed to be a relaxing hobby!
Like THE LONGRANGER mentioned in post #54, I'm also looking at the A&D EJ-123 for final weigh following my micrometered Hornady bench thrower and trickler. I did see that Old Will Knott Scales has em for $326 w/ free shipping currently. Not what the OP was asking for exactly, but buy once cry once.

Buy any *** digital scale, ALL of them will drift +-0.3 grains over a period of 10 minutes and require recalibration, unless your Okay with errors in your weights.

Absolutely untrue. Your digital scale may have a problem or you yourself may have a problem using it, but not ALL digital scales drift like this.
I can load 50 cases with powder with my digital scale. I can them dump the first one loaded and reweigh it. The weight will be exactly the same as when I first loaded it.

I have been using an rcbs beam scale for over 40 years and haven't felt the need to go electronic yet. Might be a little slower but always works

if you actually read what i said, i have a lite that i use to feed my a&d.
how do you fill your a&d ??
i have wind shields but the location of my bench and the ac duct says i get changes from the breeze. i just wait till it cycles back off not a big deal.
i bought the lite specifically to test and see if it would work to fill the fx120i.it is much better than a harrels powder thrower.
plenty good enough for long range non competition shooters.

I have the A&D 120 autothrow and auto trickler combo pal.

I'm not poor.

You will be there for days trying to load 50 rounds on a beam scale.

I would pony up the extra cash for a charge master lite. It will do everything you want it to do and do it quickly.

Hmmm! Takes me an hour to load 50 with my 505, a trickler & double check on an electronic & I'm anal!!

BW

I'm piecing together a reloading kit and I have everything I need except a scale. I don't participate in competitions of any sorts anymore and mainly shoot for hunting or leisure but the gun club I joined does do a summer league at 300 yards I might participate in this summer. I'm planning to purchase my scale from Cabela's as I have a $100 gift card that's been laying around for a year and they are only a 50 minute drive from me. I'd like to keep my cost at or around $100 so that gives me up to $200 for a scale. I've narrowed it down to:
  • Frankford Arsenal Intelli-Dropper ($200)
  • Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series scale ($95)
  • RCBS M500 beam scale ($100)
  • RCBS Rangemaster 2000 ($140)
  • Lyman Accu-Touch 2000 ($125)
There are other scales they sell, most cheaper or more expensive than these but some like the Hornady digital scale had horrible reviews and decided to leave them off my list. Any of these scales worth buying and if they are what would serve me best? All thoughts and opinions welcomed. Thank you.

I personally have a older Hornady beam scale and a small electronic scale I like to verify all powder on 2 scales them check about every 20 shells for weight this is for standard loads for accuracy I check each weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.