Need some advice for new rifle

sean1

I am going to part ways with my m70 to try and find a gun that suits my needs better. I would like to get a rifle with a medium heavy barrel contour with a good synthetic stock or a laminate stock that will shoot at least moa Preferably in 300 win mag. Do not want to brake the bank or I would have one built. So I am looking at factory.

I hear some say the new Remingtons are not what they used to be. Lost some faith in Winchester. I hear savages shoot but not fond of the looks or the feel. I like the browning eclipse but on the fence on a thumbhole for hunting. Plus I hear there is not much aftermarket support if needed.

Gun will be used for long range hunting and fun shooting. Any suggestions?

Picked up some tikkas at gander mountain last night. Stock seems thin for my liking especially with a magnum round.

Sendero is a definite thought. Actually set up just the way I want one but my local gun shop tells me they have been sending a fair amount of Remingtons back because they are leaving the factory with problems. Has anyone had much experience with a newer sendero?

Wow. I'd say you do. Any issues? Did some take some work ( recrown, bedding etc ) to get to shot? Do any calibers seem to do better than others as far as accuracy?

they all shot good. remember 20 is still a small sample size. the most accurate with a factory barrel was of all things a 300 rum. the two guys with 7mm rum had to work at it a little . the most common caliber in these 20+ (7) is the 300 wm all shot good. the 7mm rem mag all did real good too. two 25-06 and a 264. good.

SEAN- almost the mags have breaks. also i do not care for the rums. for me it is tooo much of a good thiing. 96 grain of powder. that is just me though.

Although I have never shot one, I would probably agree on the RUM's. The 300 win mag is enough in my mind. Are there any other rifles out there worth looking at? In that $1000- $1500 range?

the winchester laredo . not made any more. mine shot great. blued, unfluted so heavier. fn patrol same as laredo. savage i can't say . there are guys on here that make the various model work.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.