Need some advice and an Explanation

dakor

I leave for an Elk hunt this comming friday so I went out shooting today just to keep warm and check everything over. Well I shot off the bipod at 300 and shot a 2inch group with my 200AB's out of my 300 win so I was happy. They will shoot under an inch off the bench. I moved out to 400 yards and that is when something went wrong my group opened up to 6inches and there was some mariage but no wind. Well I thought maybe it was me so I shot another group same thing about a 6inch group. Now puzzled I had some 220 SMK's that I have been playing with the seating depth on. I took the first charge and they shot about 2"s at 400 yards not bad at all. The next group I put two inside the same hole and the last one went about 6inches low but under right under the other two. Must have been a flyer? Well here is where it gets interesting. The 220's shot at the same POI as the 200 AB's I did not touch the scope at all I figured they would shoot low but still hit the paper well they hit dead on? I have not graphed them since I moved them closer to the lands but the last time when it was 50 degrees out they shot 2758fps for an average. The AB's average 2923fps at 40 degrees. I know my AB's could be off because it was only 15 today when I was shooting but what if it gets cold when I go on my trip? It is suppose to be in the 40's and 30's for the week out in WY where I will be but I am just scared if it gets cold all hell is going to break lose. So my question is should I just use the 220 SMK? or try work up another load for the 200 AB? From what I have been told by my friend who has been out there hunting the last couple of weeks in the area I am going. He said I would get a 500 yard shot or more over a close one as the Elk are starting to move out into sections with little cover for sneaking. Any advice is welcome but as it sits right now tomorrow is my last day to shoot and get something going.

Well I think I found the problem. I must not have set my seating die up the same and the 200 AB's I loaded today were .20 longer then the ones I loaded a few weeks ago. Doh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif So that would put them right at the lands. I will shoot again tomorrow I hope that this was the problem. But I still cannot figure out why the 220SMK shot at the same POI as the 200 AB at 400 yards? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I know it has a higher bc but it is also probably going 150fps slower then the 200 AB. I guess we will see what tomorrow brings.

If you check them at 100 yds, you'll likely find the 220 hits a little higher than the 200. Different loads often have different POI's. Nothing to be concerned about.

Well it was the seating depth thank god!!! I was wondering if somebody did not want me to go Elk hunting because I found out Friday both diff's on my pickup are grinding and need to be replaced. I will get my pickup back Wednesday and I leave Friday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Oh well both rifles are shooting great and I hope to have a fun and safe hunt. As for the issue with the 220SMK shooting the same at 400, 500,and 600 yards. They are shooting an inch higher at 100 then the AB's but it still does not add up unless Sierra's bc's are higher then they state. Either way it is all good they shot a 3inch 4 shot group at 600 yards off the bipod today so I was happy. I will post pics if I am lucky enough to take an elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts