Need some 700PSS upgrade help

twoatlow8

Good evening all. My first post here. I have a 700PSS in 300RUM that I want to make into 1Kyd+ hunting/steel rifle. It is factory original. I have decided on a Painkiller muzzle brake from Kirby Allen. Other than that I am looking for recommendations for scope, base, rings, scope, bedding techniques, and an aftermarket stock if the one it came in needs replacing.

I have been reloading for a few years. I will likely shoot something in the 200 grain and up category. The 220SMK or 230 Berger if it proves suitable. Carrol Pilant at Sierra told me the 220 would probably be more forgiving than the 210. Other bullet suggestions would be welcome.

I have also been considering the Bushnell 3.5-21x FFP with the GAP reticle.

I will be ordering the Calvin Elite Timney trigger

I do know that the stock doesnt make any contact with the barrel.

What other mods and purchases would you guys make on the 700 PSS? Any and all recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

That being said, I am trying to keep the expenditure as low as possible. I am looking for the DIY stuff that will make the biggest difference.

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Joe

The 700PSS is a very accurate platform right off the shelf. Do not replace the stock as it is a very good H&S Kevlar aluminum bedded system. Bed the recoil lug if you like, Torque to 65 inch pounds. karsten Cheek Piece works well. Changing the trigger will be a great improvement over the X mark pro. I see cost is an issue so stick with Warren One piece 20 moa picatinny base and rings, make sure you torque the to proper inch pounds. I would go with Tubbs or Callahan Aluminum alloy firing pin with the shroud. Detachable Mag and trigger guard would be a preference on your part. As for the scope?
SIIISS3510X44LRMD
Matte
Mil-Dot
30mm
Side Focus
0.25 MOA Target Knobs
Fast Focus Eyebell
One-Piece Main-Tube
ExacTrack
ZACT-7 Revcoat Multi-Coating
All Weather Construction
Lifetime Warranty
120 moa windage and elevation
$650 range way more scope for the $.
Muzzle Brake: JP Bennie Cooley

Here is Mine
700P .308

I achieved 1k with this Rig.. Mohave Dessert September 13th 2008
Good Luck.

Good evening all. My first post here. I have a 700PSS in 300RUM that I want to make into 1Kyd+ hunting/steel rifle. It is factory original. I have decided on a Painkiller muzzle brake from Kirby Allen. Other than that I am looking for recommendations for scope, base, rings, scope, bedding techniques, and an aftermarket stock if the one it came in needs replacing.

I have been reloading for a few years. I will likely shoot something in the 200 grain and up category. The 220SMK or 230 Berger if it proves suitable. Carrol Pilant at Sierra told me the 220 would probably be more forgiving than the 210. Other bullet suggestions would be welcome.

I have also been considering the Bushnell 3.5-21x FFP with the GAP reticle.

I will be ordering the Calvin Elite Timney trigger

I do know that the stock doesnt make any contact with the barrel.

What other mods and purchases would you guys make on the 700 PSS? Any and all recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

That being said, I am trying to keep the expenditure as low as possible. I am looking for the DIY stuff that will make the biggest difference.

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Joe
The 700 PSS is an excellent rifle. When I worked at the LGS back in the day, I used to sell PSS's and LTR's faster than we could get them in the store. They both came in HS Precision stocks with full aluminum bedding blocks, so you shouldn't need to replace the stock, unless you just want to. At the least I would glass bed the action to it, and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will have to send this bruiser off to get the muzzle threaded for a brake anyway so I was thinking of having it bedded at the same time. Any recommendations for a smith to bed and thread?

Thanks for the replies guys. I will have to send this bruiser off to get the muzzle threaded for a brake anyway so I was thinking of having it bedded at the same time. Any recommendations for a smith to bed and thread?

Fortunately for me, I have a local smith, so I've never had to send any of my guns off. Which is unfortunate, because I won't be able to help with your question.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.