Need Sightron SIII info and experience!!!

bigngreen

I'm looking or info and LR shooting experience in relation to the Sightron SIII line of optics. I'm really looking hard at them now that they have the MOA reticle, previously looking at the Vortex PST but the Sightron is super appealing with more MOA. I've hear the glass is decent and the turret function is superb, is that true. How would you rate the glass? Have they been actual MOA , IPHY or something else?
Anything you got would be helpful, thanks!

Big, I have a SIII 6x24x50LRMD and love it. I had it on a 5R Milspec and it was dead on with everything it did. It box tested perfectly, the MOA adjustements are perfect, it returns exactly to zero, and the glass is great. I now have it on my unbraked Sendero 300 RUM and am getting the same results. The only problem I've had with it is that the turrets turn and get bumped too easy when uncapped. The new ones will have a tactical turret that is supposed to be more firm, or harder to turn which will hopefully eliminate this problem.

I've been eyeing the new MOA reticles as well and will order one or two as soon as they come available. I talked to Sightron a couple days ago and they said look for them in March.

I'm not familiar with the IOR reticle but saw a picture of it on Sightrons website. It looks like a 2 MOA SFP. I was hoping to find a way to enlarge the pic but no luck.

it seems the MOA reticle has a 1/4 dot in the center. for some reason they usually seem bigger. a true 1/8th dot is OK but i don't care for the larger ones. am i understanding this correctly?

It looks like it's a 1/4 MOA dot to me, I've shot an 1/8th MOA dot for hunting and it was just to small for me. I've shot the IOR MP-8 dot and it is 1/4 MOA and I really liked it!

I have not owned one, but have looked thru an S3, and the glass was great.
Everything I have read about the S3 is that it has a history of tracking well.
Never bout one because they didn't have a reticle I liked. Now they do.

I have an SIII 16x. I really like it. Always tracks and returns to zero. Mine has the mildot reticle with 1/2 mil hash marks. I wish they offered that reticle in their other scopes. Mine is on a 300 wsm and I have had no problems. Shot a deer at 589 this year along with some 3-400 yard coyotes. I have had a number of other scopes some costing more than the sightron and I don't see myself buying anything else in the future. This scope replaced an elite 4200 and it is brighter.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.