Need scope recommendations 28 Nosler

Appalachiangunslinger

Just picked up a Savage Ultralite 110 in 28 Nosler. Looking for some scope options. Originally was going to stick with a 3-18. But the more I think about it and wanting to use the rifle for longer range hunts in 600-700yards range. Plus some LR shooting. I am looking at a Leupold VX6-HD 4-24 or NightForce NX8 4x32. Thankfully I can get both at a decent price due to my .mil pricing. But am undecided which one to go for or stick with the 3-18 for weight.

I prefer a dial for distance and hold for windage. If it gets too busy for me it affects my shooting due to vestibular/tbi issues. Hence me preferring simpler reticles. I currently don't have anything that is higher power than 3-18 or 4-16. And this is a newer stance for me with wanting to have the ability to take game over 600yards. Any advice is gratefully accepted. Including changing my stance on reticle choices and what scope rings are best for lightweight /durability. Rifle will be used mainly for western hunts or a mountain rifle with one of my cans to take up some recoil and report. Am changing out the stock as well to a carbon fiber bedded stock from AG Composites to the rifle.

Thanks for the help.

FFP or SFP?
All my current scopes are SFP. That said if I am not using any type of etched reticle. I'd prefer to save the money and use sfp as I would not have any benefit from from FFP. Unless I missed something this late at night with a quick thought about it. I am open to suggestions to the two brands above due to my ability to get similar discounts. Even open to buying second hand for optics. Like said before I have the 3-18x50 VX-6HD on my LaRue in 6.5Creedmore. I do like it overall but have yet to really stretch it over 200 due to lack of a place to do so local to me.

I guess to really answer the question is if I went with the leupold vx6hd in either 3-18 or 4-24 I'm stuck with SFP regardless of wether or not I chose something besides fired or reticle. Now with the nx8 to really take advantage of the reticle I would probably lean towards the FFP just to have less variance when using the rifle at long range. (Tired)

some though would argue that FFP reticle is too small for hunting. Yet the Nightforce uses a good lit reticle that should offset any issues.

Last edited:
Just picked up a Savage Ultralite 110 in 28 Nosler. Looking for some scope options. Originally was going to stick with a 3-18. But the more I think about it and wanting to use the rifle for longer range hunts in 600-700yards range. Plus some LR shooting. I am looking at a Leupold VX6-HD 4-24 or NightForce NX8 4x32. Thankfully I can get both at a decent price due to my .mil pricing. But am undecided which one to go for or stick with the 3-18 for weight.

I prefer a dial for distance and hold for windage. If it gets too busy for me it affects my shooting due to vestibular/tbi issues. Hence me preferring simpler reticles. I currently don't have anything that is higher power than 3-18 or 4-16. And this is a newer stance for me with wanting to have the ability to take game over 600yards. Any advice is gratefully accepted. Including changing my stance on reticle choices and what scope rings are best for lightweight /durability. Rifle will be used mainly for western hunts or a mountain rifle with one of my cans to take up some recoil and report. Am changing out the stock as well to a carbon fiber bedded stock from AG Composites to the rifle.

Thanks for the help.
The 3-18 is plenty of magnification to 1K yards.

Yep, 18x will get you way past 1000 on steel. I'd look at the razor hd lht also if you're not dead set on Leupold

So what about between the VX-6HD 3-18 or Mk6 3-18 which would be better suited for this use? Besides a 6oz savings on the vx6. I currently own the vx6hd 3-18 now and am very familiar with it.

3-18 is plenty. My 3-18 is a Zeiss V6 and so far is doing what I need. I am also liking my NF 4-32 on my 300 NMI, but rarely can use the upper end for shooting. I do use the upper end though for evaluating game.

If opting leupold I would go Mk5 over Mk6 every day of the week.

but I also get .Mil pricing and would choose the nx8 of the options listed but be advised the wait is pretty long.
You also get US Optics, Zeiss, Steiner, Burris, and a few others.
I was very interested in the NX8 until I saw the he weight. I am not interested in any of the MK variants as they add weight as well. This is primarily a hunting rifle and as such really would be overkill for most things. I am not even concerned about FFP as well. Main reason is the only thing I will be using the hash marks on any reticle is for holding wind. I prefer dialing in on a hunting scope. Not using in a tactical setting or competition. I want something simple and uncluttered reticle, reliable, durable, lightweight, able to push the round out to distance, lighted reticle, good quality glass, good low light use, ability to add custom current dials for loads. I am really leaning towards the Leupold VX6HD here. I keep going back and forth with each of the two. I do have a 3-18x44 on my Larue 6.5 Creedmore right now. Now that said weight between the two is a mere 2oz differences. It really comes down to how much magnification I would use. Unless I am missing something here. Besides larger objective and housing in 4-24x52 that allows better light transmission.. So its down to 3-18x44 at 21.8oz or 4-24x52 @ 23.8oz. But still not ruling out the NX8 exactly.. Damnit so hard.. back and forth haha

Last edited:
Might consider taking a look at the March line of scopes. Might find something there that appeals to you. Yes it is a big decision. Good luck with your choice, have fun and be safe.

Might consider taking a look at the March line of scopes. Might find something there that appeals to you. Yes it is a big decision. Good luck with your choice, have fun and be safe.
Honestly I just don't have that kind of money. Someone adopt me and I'll just get a kahles. Anyhow the nx8 is pretty comparable from what I've seen overall. Little different beyond price for what your getting from what I've seen so far. For some odd reason I keep coming back the the nx8 I might just do the 2.5-20 and be done with it.