need scope help

hapycapy

Im on my way to my first long range rig! I just got my Mark V Accumark in 300wbm and would like some suggestions on what to put on top. I have never used turrets so I dont know if I should get a scope with them or use a reticle style scope. All input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Capy

What kind of budget are you working with? If you have the $$$ I would take a good look at the Nightforce NSX scopes. I have a 5.5x22x50R1 and a 3.5x15x50R1 and I like them better than my MKIV Leupy. The Leupy is a great scope too.....I have 2 LR scopes from Leupold (55275) they have the varmint ballistic aiming system which is ok for most hunting; but if I had the $ all my good rifles would have a NF NSX. I like uniformity.

Last edited:
I would probably stay with either Leupold of NF. I prefer the 6.5-20X50 Loopie and I have a 3.5-15X50 NF wich are both great scopes. My rifles pull double duty as tactical comp rigs as well so the scopes have mil reticles. Once you learn the reticle, it can be used for hold overs/unders. If you are more comfortable with a different reticle style, go for it. But long range shooting I really prefer adjusting the turrets for the specific range. Pick the absolute best glass you can afford. This is one item you do not want to skimp on. My suggestion would be the 3.5-15X50 NF with MLR reticle.

Geb

Go with the best you can afford. I used Leupold exclusively for 20 years and got my first NF NXS in the last 6 months. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I have had great luck with Leupolds, but the NightForce is amazing. The only downside is the weight. Mine is on a Sendero in 300 Ultra and I kind of wanted the weight. On an Accumark, it might make balance a little off, I don't know. If you are serious about long range - 600+ - I would definitely go with a scope you can dial and then equip yourself with Ballistic program, wind meter, scope level, and cosine indicator. If you are going to limit yourself to less than 600 a reticle with hold marks will do the job. My dad shot a NV mule deer at 720 yards this year with my Sendero and the NF cranked up to 22X. He said it was like shooting a deer at 200 with his old Leupy at 10X. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the info, I am trying to stay under 1000$, I am going to be using it out west hunting elk/mulleys, so most shots will be under 500 yards. I live in Ohio and hunt PA, not really any long range hunting, so I will only be using this rifle once every couple of years, but when I do have the chance I want to be ready!! Thanks again and keep it comming.
P.S. Only 4 more days til opening day out here!!!!:D:):D:)

Happy Thanksgiving

Capy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.