Need Scope Dial Numbers out to 500

17Fireball

Hoping someone can help me out...
I was at the range the other day with my 7mm-08 that has a Burris C4 scope with a dial with numbers on it with 1/4 lines between the numbers. A guy at the range used the expensive version of a ballistic calculator on his phone called BulletFlight and was able to tell me out to 500 yards in 25 grain increments the 25 yard numbers to use on my scope (based on having sighted it in for 100 yards).
I don't seem to be able to figure out how to get this same info. using different programs on the web for my .243 Win load below. Can anyone help?
.243 Win.
.70 grain Sierra MK
.299 Ballistic Coeffient
3325 velocity

Basically, I want to range a target and then know what number on my scope to turn to for it to have the correct elevation out to 500 yards.

I use BulletDrop+ on my iPhone, and it was like $1.99.....It will give you accurate readings if you input accurate data. Works great for me. never leave home without it. :D

You can select Mils or MOA, out to 2000 yards, and you can store your load data for quick acquisition later on. You can also select for it to show you in 25, 50, 75, or 100 yard increments what your adjustments should be.

Why not just use the Ballistic Calculator that is part of this website. On the toolbar is a G7 Ballistic Calculator,

with a 200 yard zero and a 1.7 scope height and 2500' above sea level, add .25 moa at 400 and 500 for sea level and subtract .25 moa for 5000' above sea level

This is MOA assuming your dial is MOA

300 yards 2 moa
350 yards 3 moa
400 yards 4.25 moa
450 yards 5.5 moa
500 yards 7 moa

you can probably figure out the quarters from here.

I helped my best friend last season figure out his rifle out to 600 when he had just the same questions you do now. Each "click" on your scope is 1/4 MOA, and each number on your scope is 1 MOA. One MOA equals roughly 1" at 100 yards, 2" at 200 and so on.
The easiest way to do this is to look on your scope and see if you can loosen the elevation knob and turn the dial to "0" on the indicator where it is zeroed at now. This way, when you look on the drop chart you are going to make that reads in MOA, and it tells you to go up, say 3 MOA, you simply move the dial from "0" to "3" and make the shot.

I use Berger's free ballistic app, but any of the others mentioned will work as well or better. Keep in mind this will only give you a starting point and you'll have to do some actual testing to figure out exactly what happens at the range, but it will give you a way to be pretty darn close to start with. If you use the Berger one, just remember to change the readout from inches to MOA, and that is all there is to it once you input the BC, velocity and bullet diameter. It is then "plug and play" so to speak, and the system I use on my .243 as well.
Good luck and I hope this helps some or if not I can clear things up more for you!

Isn't the whole point behind the Burris c4 is that you tell them your load, and they send you a turret?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts