Need reloading help

I was just refamiliarizing myself with his method but don't know anyone personally that has used it. Have you used it with success before?
I have used it on multiple rifles and cartridges. It works. It's easier if you can graph velocities and visually see where your nodes are and lick one. Load and go. Very fast, very easy, and doesn't use as many components.

+1 for Scott Satterlee's method, however you do need a high quality chrono or you will not get it right, which you have in the magneto. Besides being a retired green beret, the dude is a top level PRS shooter, a high level match director, and overall earns his living in the shooting industry, he knows what he's doing is my point, and as a bonus he's not arrogant about any of that. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. And in my personal experience it has given me super low ES/SD numbers every time I've tried it, which granted is only 3 or 4 at this point. To make it faster, use other's experience for best powder/bullet combos for your cartridge, which sounds like you've already done.

Just like @601handryan I also like to graph the velocities in excel so I can visually identify the nodes a little better, but it's definitely not required. I actually graph the differentials as well, but I am somewhat of a nerd like that. My last build, which was about 4 weeks ago, I found a load by firing 8 cartridges, I knew what powder bullet and primer I was going to make work based on research of other's experience, so the only variable was charge weight. I loaded 8 different charges, fired them over a high quality chrono, then made a selection. I did go back and load up 5 of my choice and do a 5 shot group to confirm ES/SD. Pretty simple, and wastes the least barrel life and components.

+1 for Scott Satterlee's method, however you do need a high quality chrono or you will not get it right, which you have in the magneto. Besides being a retired green beret, the dude is a top level PRS shooter, a high level match director, and overall earns his living in the shooting industry, he knows what he's doing is my point, and as a bonus he's not arrogant about any of that. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. And in my personal experience it has given me super low ES/SD numbers every time I've tried it, which granted is only 3 or 4 at this point. To make it faster, use other's experience for best powder/bullet combos for your cartridge, which sounds like you've already done.

Just like @601handryan I also like to graph the velocities in excel so I can visually identify the nodes a little better, but it's definitely not required. I actually graph the differentials as well, but I am somewhat of a nerd like that. My last build, which was about 4 weeks ago, I found a load by firing 8 cartridges, I knew what powder bullet and primer I was going to make work based on research of other's experience, so the only variable was charge weight. I loaded 8 different charges, fired them over a high quality chrono, then made a selection. I did go back and load up 5 of my choice and do a 5 shot group to confirm ES/SD. Pretty simple, and wastes the least barrel life and components.
Hey, taking the derivative shows things you might missed....this nerd never thought of that, but it is a great idea

I use to make fun of them called them Mr. Gadget and now I have learned to adapt somewhat and it has made my life a little easier never to late to learn something new or a better way to do it
When you stop learning, you stop progressing. Always keep an open mind. I have learned that many times over.

check out a youtube video from the 6.5 guys. They interview Scott Saterlee. He has developed a "10 shot ladder load test" that works very well. I have used it on a 7mm08 and a 338 Edge and both times got a load very quickly in 10 shots both times.

Basically you consult the manuals to learn the min and max load for the caliber, then load in .2 increments looking for flat spots in velocity spread. It really is an efficient process and sounds like it would be ideal for you situation.

Yes you need a chronograph because it is based off velocity not accuracy. Since if you have low ES the accuracy will be there but the opposite is true - you can have one hole groups and have terrible ES so at distance the load is a dud. Hope that helps again check out the video its very well laid out.

best of luck

check out a youtube video from the 6.5 guys. They interview Scott Saterlee. He has developed a "10 shot ladder load test" that works very well. I have used it on a 7mm08 and a 338 Edge and both times got a load very quickly in 10 shots both times.

Basically you consult the manuals to learn the min and max load for the caliber, then load in .2 increments looking for flat spots in velocity spread. It really is an efficient process and sounds like it would be ideal for you situation.

Yes you need a chronograph because it is based off velocity not accuracy. Since if you have low ES the accuracy will be there but the opposite is true - you can have one hole groups and have terrible ES so at distance the load is a dud. Hope that helps again check out the video its very well laid out.

best of luck
Just rewatched that based of several suggestions here. Thanks!

Got a Satterlee load test loaded up. Went that route for strictly time constraints. I found a couple of other methods I will be trying out in the future that I may like better. We shall see.
A103118E-9D50-4451-B787-F11559F4CBD7.jpeg

I have never heard the ABs like a long jump thank you for that information. I will be shooting the 110 ABs for this trip.

Not that you will have the same experience, but my 30-06 shrunk from 0.77 moa at 0.020" jump to 0.4 moa at 0.075" jump with 150 Accubond pushed by 58 gr RL16 lit with WLRM primer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.