Need recommendations with camo clothing

marchboom

I will be getting into coyote hunting this year and was wondering what method you folks use when choosing camo clothing.

Do you prefer to buy the clothing that has the insulation in it or just get camo outer shells and use your regular winter clothing under, using the layering method?

I will be hunting as close to north Idaho as possible. Any suggestions as to what pattern works best?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey John,
I am no expert, but I use snow/ realtree cover-ups. I wear my scent lock archery camo under them and depending on the temp, long johns underneath. Has worked well for me, and allows me to "layer" as needed for the temps. Good luck, you'll be hooked after the first one.gun)

I'm no expert either, but try this: Always layer up. I use skinz from Bass Pro as under layer, draws the sweat off real well, removes that clammy felling plus teh silver nano kill odor well too. Then I layer with lighter shirts or jackets. I skip the heavy coats as they are just to bulky. I like the True Speck digital desert for western land. Here in the east I use woodland digital. With proper layering you will stay plenty warm and if you get too warm, you can always shed a layer or two and its easy to backpack. I have the other stuff, wooland, tree bark etc. but I find the digital works just as well.

I mix my own scent contol, you can find a recipe by doing a search on the net as I don't have the formula in front of me . I apply it with a 3 gallon lawn sprayer. Beats the hell out of using those bottle hand pumps. Home made is baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, water and unscented liquid soap as a surfractent. Works ok and cheaper then the high dollar brand stuff.

Staying warm is all about layers. My cold-weather load-out goes like this....

Inner layer - synthetic long-johns top and bottom (sometimes two layers if it's really cold and won't be moving much).

Middle Layer - camo pants, camo shirt.

Outer layer - camo jacket.

coveralls - insulated camo. This layer is typically carried in a pack and only worn once settled.

Gloves - synthetic liners with brown jersey gloves on top. If you can't find synthetic liners, two pairs of jersey gloves work nice. I like the jersey gloves because I can still feel the trigger threw them. Be sure to keep the hand-warmer fired up though.

In terms of a camo pattern, I am of the belief that most general purpose camo patterns work ok (check my screen name, my favorite pattern is 30 years old!). The key is to SIT STILL. With sharp eyed predators, folks seem to use a decoy to distract the yotes attention.

i agree with everyone about the layering, as far as patterns? I would argue that the multicam pattern is the best out there right now. I've used it in WI, NC, Iraq and Afghanistan and it plain works everywhere. Not to dark and not to cluttered which tends to be the issue with most patterns

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.