Need Recommendations for 300 PRC Build

jraulsten

I haven't been on here much the last few years. When my oldest son passed away I was mad at the world and lost interest in shooting and hunting. I sold a lot of my equipment on here including guns, powder, primers, bullets, etc. One of the dumbest things I have ever done. If I had only known how difficult it would become to get those primers and powders! Oh well, lesson learned and I'm ready to get back to the things I enjoy in life. Over the last several months I have bought the components to put together what I hope will be a good rifle for hunting big game at long range (Nilgai, Elk, etc.) and just shooting long range for fun. I know it sounds crazy but I want to say I hit a target at a mile one of these days. Unfortunately, my favorite builder (Ryan Pierce) will no longer build rifles using customer supplied components. I know someone on here can point me in the right direction to locate a good smith. I see Lane Precision mentioned quite often but haven't seen anything on his experience with the 300 PRC. Anyway, here is what I have:

Bartlein Carbon Fiber, Sendero Contour, 9 twist, 26"
Defiance Tenacity
Hawkins Bottom Metal with detachable mag, 300 WM CIP length
Hawkins rings
AMG scope
Trigger Tech Special
APA Gen III Fat Bastard Brake
McMillan Game Warden carbon fiber stock

Thanks in advance for your recommendations. Stock is still 2-3 months out so I have some time.

Jim

Like said above if you have brass good. If not it's tough to find. May I also make a recommendation? Make that thing into a 30 sherman. Here my reasons for mentioning it. You sound like you know how to reload so a wildcat is no issue.
You will gain a decent amount of performance over the PRC.
second you can buy adg brass proper head stamped form them now no waiting unless he's sold out recently.
Lastly you can still shoot factory ammo out of it with good accuracy.
So for me only upside. I take the first 100 rounds to fireform 100pc brass and barrel break in. After 100 rounds the FPS tend to level off so then I start load work after that point.
As for a smith. Check with pierce engineering they have done amazing work for me and I'm not sure if they use others actions but worth a call.
Lots of good smiths on here.

About a year ago I had Kampfeld Custom put mine together for me. The gun can out shoot me for sure. It has on several occasions given me half minute groups at 1k with factory ammo. I really don't think you'll find a better smith than Carl.

Thanks for the info! That is exactly the kind of accuracy I'm looking for. Something that shoots better than me.....which probably isn't all that difficult to make!

Hope you have plenty of brass before the build is done, impossible to find.
I got lucky a few months ago and was able to pick up 100 rounds of the Hornady ammo with 212 ELD-X. Figured I would break in with the factory ammo and reload with the brass. Over the last several months I was also able to pick up two boxes of the 212 ELD-X bullets, a brick of CCI 250s, and 8 pounds of H1000. I was also hoping to get some of the Lapua brass when it comes out........if that's even possible.

Like said above if you have brass good. If not it's tough to find. May I also make a recommendation? Make that thing into a 30 sherman. Here my reasons for mentioning it. You sound like you know how to reload so a wildcat is no issue.
You will gain a decent amount of performance over the PRC.
second you can buy adg brass proper head stamped form them now no waiting unless he's sold out recently.
Lastly you can still shoot factory ammo out of it with good accuracy.
So for me only upside. I take the first 100 rounds to fireform 100pc brass and barrel break in. After 100 rounds the FPS tend to level off so then I start load work after that point.
As for a smith. Check with pierce engineering they have done amazing work for me and I'm not sure if they use others actions but worth a call.
Lots of good smiths on here.
Thank you, sir. I will have to look into that caliber since I am not familiar with it at all. So I can shoot my factory 300 PRC ammo out of it to fire form the brass? Is H1000 a good powder for it?

I got lucky a few months ago and was able to pick up 100 rounds of the Hornady ammo with 212 ELD-X. Figured I would break in with the factory ammo and reload with the brass. Over the last several months I was also able to pick up two boxes of the 212 ELD-X bullets, a brick of CCI 250s, and 8 pounds of H1000. I was also hoping to get some of the Lapua brass when it comes out........if that's even possible.
The 212 ELDX shot less than 1/2 minute at 300YDS for me in a very similar build during break in!

I can and will vouch for Travis @ RBros, I have the first 300PRC he built.

Both 212 ELDX and 225ELDM shoot super tight groups.

I have 230 Bergers loaded now, and they flat SMACK!

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I had no idea there were that many outstanding Smiths on here. Makes picking one a real challenge!

Yes you can fireform 300 PRC factory ammo in the 30 Sherman Mag chamber as I understand it. My guess would be H1000 would perform well and be stable and consistent, but probably wouldn't be at the top end velocity wise. I would think a standard PRC with N570 would run close to the Sherman Mag with H1000.

About a year ago I had Kampfeld Custom put mine together for me. The gun can out shoot me for sure. It has on several occasions given me half minute groups at 1k with factory ammo. I really don't think you'll find a better smith than Carl.

^^^^^ I agree with this. Here is a 6.5PRC Karl
C106E1B9-C33A-40A4-AE91-7B104A9F8F9A.jpeg
built for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.