need real opinions on building a gun (the whole thing)

shuamee

ok ive put up one or two things in other forums bout this and really dont get too much help from them. im wanting a custom gun it will be long and drwn out cant do it right now but i want to know what im working towards and why before i go spend a bunch of money and not really get wat i was looking for. first off is the caliber, they are putting in a one mile range close by and i want to play with it. recoil doesnt really bother me so im up for anything. i do reload but never formed wild cat casings. next would be the barrel and action. keep in mind the gun to me is just a toy and will be used like one it will not be abused but if dirt gets on it idw to have to send the action off to get polished bc of a scratch. i like the mcmillan a-4 and a-5 stocks. any ideas?

I've been doing the same thing. Have a family and on a budget, so my long range build has taken over a year so far. Kinda like Johnny Cash sang...."one piece at a time"

I'm sure others will chime in, but I like the 338s for work waaaaay out there. I like the 300 Ultras too, but those long, slender 300gn VLD's sure are pretty in those 338Edge cases.

I am just about finished with my 338 Edge (338-300 Ultra) budget build. Here are some prices so you can kinda see where I'm at on mine.

Donor action was a Savage 110 with a magnum bolt head. $200
(You can pick up a used 7mm RemMag from a local Scheels or Gander or the like. Mine locally has one for $275. sell the barrel and stock and make $50 back. The Savage action is easy to work on and cake to headspace. Some may "poo-poo" Savage, but I've built 3 rifles using 110 actions. I just like them)

Barrel is from 4D reamers (Kregier Criterion) $310
Ross Schuler Muzzle brake $45
Converting to DBM with Accurate-Mag's Savage Long Action 3.850 set-up $140
Stock is a Hogue Overmolded in OD green $115
Karsten Cheek Riser $60
Savage 110BA Bolt handle $70
EGW 20MOA rail $40

I'm in her $980 so far not counting glass or little stuff like Duracoat, headspace gauges, etc.
Jeesh...once I add it all up...it doesn't look so "budget"! Well I guess for what it will do when I get done with it that's not so bad.

I hope this helps a little. I didn't have specific information on other calibers to answer your question, but I thought just hearing what others are doing might help.

DC

i have a 300rum and like the gun but it hunts and plays right now lookin to make somethin just to play with. i have had ppl tell me before 338 but here lately ive heard more 375 chey tac than anything else. what is a 338edge? is it a 300rum case with a 338 bullet or wat?

Do you plan to have a gunbuilder get all the work done, or a gunsmith, or yourself?
There are huge differences..

As far as actual design, it all begins with a bullet.
You build a gun around it, to do what you can with it, given a balance of compromises that are known up front and acceptable to you.
Much like a racing engine, beginning with THE fuel.

Don't bother to consider actions, or stocks, or scopes yet.
Research a bullet. Determine the case capacity to get what you want from it. Choose a cartridge providing that capacity and put together a reloading plan for it. Consider how much the gun will need to weigh, and how you'll need to use it in the field. Throw in various actions, triggger, scope, stock combos, given the resources available to you.
And then start over again & again until you have a solid plan that will actually work.

This is what gunbuilders do.

The 338-300 RUM. (338 Edge) is a 300 RUM or I use 375 RUM necked for a 338 bullet. The 7mm RUM is also the same case, but I think you'd have to expand in two steps.

DC

thanks. im used to going and picking up a gun and just go out shooting. i just started reloading a year ago so i havent really worked on any loads yet i got to reload alot of 300 rums soon tho. i know u design the gun around the bullet and i will have a person that builds them for a living with a good rep to put it together. when u say u look at case capacity i know thats how much it holds but what are you actually looking for? how much u can do with the least amount of powder or how much u can stuff in behind it or what? this is the first time ive even thought bout going through this so i really dont know what things to consider other than what ppl suggest.

You don't know enough to be successful with this yet.
If I were you, I'd look to a gunbuilder.
Read through this thread: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/r-bros-7wsm-76400/
Go to their sight: Home - R Bros Rifles
And if they offer what you're looking for, makes sure you can get the reloading components & equipment for it(based on their recommended), and get out the checkbook.

You should also look over Len's guns here :Custom, Precision Long Range Hunting Rifles Ready To Ship
He owns this forum

i know i dont know enough about this to build my own gun. a gunbuilder will be buildin the gun all im looking for is what is the best of the best parts wise. and wat is the "ultimate" 1 mile cal. that can still be used on say elk or moose. what r the things u take into consideration when choosein a cal. and y?

I went with a 338 Allen mag which is a 408 chatted improved and neck Down. There are others like it but I went with the Allen mag because KIrby sells brass that is all ready formed so there is no fire forming I think the snipetac is that way as well but not sure. As for the 375 am I looked at that hard but for hunting don't need any more energy and for a hunting bullet the 300 Berger is about the best you can get especially when comparing the price of the bullet per bc. I will pay good money for a bullet with better bc but not an extra 1.50 a bullet for hardly any gain.

i have been leanin towards a 338. alot of ppl have been saying that they would consider a 375 but im still leanin towards the 338. hwat 338 has the best balistics?

All the 338-408 improved versions are within about 100 fps but I believe the Allen mag is th fastest followed by snipe tac but there all great and which ever on shoots the best at that point is going to be the one to have and that could go in way on about any day.

300RUM to 338 Edge is what I did off the 700 action. Unfortunately I can't have Shawn build it due to my time constraint and his busy schedule, or he would for sure! I can't say enough about how helpful he has been with my build over the phone, and he isn't even the smith making the money on it. I'm gonna buy as many of my accessories from him as I can after his willingness to help me get some things figured out with the build. His LRH how to video is great, and Send it Vol 2 is also worth the $$, I would highly reccomend these Vids to you and anyone. I would get ahold of Shawn about turning your 300RUM into one of his new +P Edges, and when I rebarrel, he will be doing that for me without a doubt.
http://defensiveedge.net/

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.