Need opinions guys, thoughts on a pronghorn guide service to benefit Military and Law Enforcement

codyadams

So my cousin and I have been spitballing some ideas on running our own guide service for pronghorn here in Wyoming. We are both Law Enforcement and work for our County Sheriffs Department, with a lot of our family and close friends involved in LE or Military, or both. We are currently part of a group called Shell Shocked outdoors, mostly waterfowl (you can find us on facebook). We take mil/le people out on waterfowl hunts, fishing trips and a couple pronghorn hunts, and for a long time we were sponsored by HEVI Shot, and they graciously provided all ammunition for our waterfowl hunts, which included a couple trips to Canada, several years of snow goose hunts in Idaho, and several seasons of duck/dark goose season. It was great, because in a snow goose season and a Canada trip we can easily go through a case of shells a person or more, and by providing it our vets only had to pay for their licenses, and some of them to drive to the hunt location. However that ended, some of the groups that HEVI was sponsoring were taking advantage of it we were told, claiming they needed 3 cases of shells (750 rds) to hunt ducks with a couple vet for 3 days. So, they cut back drastically on their sponsorship, understandably so. We liked what we were doing, but we want to do more.

Our idea so far, is to get our outfitter and guide licenses, and offer a buck tag guide as well as a lower priced doe/fawn guided hunt, where odds are much higher of drawing the doe/fawn tags. We wouldn't charge near the amount that other outfitters do, as we would not be established outfitters, and it would not be our main source of income, our goal would be to make enough to pay for license/application and travel fees for several Military Vets, Active Duty Military, and active or retired Law Enforcement, and also break even on expenses, possibly make a small amount on the side. We have not established prices yet, and as far as accommodations we are contacting a local KOA to see if they could work with us on having a couple of their cabins reserved for all of pronghorn season. We have access to plenty of private land, and I grew up here so I know the public land very well. We would pick up our hunters however early they wanted to get started, and take them out. We don't have a solid price laid out yet, but we know from crunching some numbers and looking at what other outfitters charge, it would be significantly less. The only issue would be getting enough interest. So I came here....to see how many people would be interested in a low key, laid back guide service for pronghorn that would set aside about half (if possible) of their guided hunts for pre-paid (by the other hunts) mil/le individuals. Please give me you thoughts, opinions, or ideas on this.

Thanks guys,

Cody Adams.

I would be interested, always wanted to hunt pronghorn but wouldn't know where to start. May be able to get a few guys on a group hunt.

....I would be interested, always wanted to hunt pronghorn but wouldn't know where to start. May be able to get a few guys on a group hunt.....

I hope you succeed!

I'm alway interested in an antelope hunt. A group is an idea that interest me, single or with a youngster fro m here would as well.

Supporting such a thing would work for me as well, buy a tag, the KOA lodging, whatever would help.

How many NR points does it typically take to draw where you're at? I kind of have a thing of my own I try to do, and would have to think a bit on using up my points.

I hope you succeed!

I'm alway interested in an antelope hunt. A group is an idea that interest me, single or with a youngster fro m here would as well.

Supporting such a thing would work for me as well, buy a tag, the KOA lodging, whatever would help.

How many NR points does it typically take to draw where you're at? I kind of have a thing of my own I try to do, and would have to think a bit on using up my points.
Anywhere from 4-6 points for a buck tag, but doe hunts take no points, and you have anywhere from a 25%-50% odds of drawing, and you can apply for two doe/fawn tags per person. And area 95 has some good bucks, my last buck I got scored over 80
20180526_002126.jpg
20180526_002251.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.