Need New Scale

augustinaustin

I'm torn between a RCBS 10-10 beam scale and the Pact Powder Pro digital scale. I have really been wanting a digital. Any thoughts from OWNERS of each? Thanks Guys

Aug.
I use scales a lot and have both, a couple of electronics and a 10-10. To be honest I use the 10-10 about 10 times more than the electronics. It is always sitting there ready for use. If you do not move it the zero stays constant.
The electronics are faster and easier to use, not sure if they are significantly more accurate. They do have to be zero'd a lot, more than I like. They are also sensitive to moving air, like near a heating vent or air conditioner outlet. I like the elecrtonics for weighing bullets, bigger jobs like that.
I have the system with the infra-red beam or whatever that talks between the scale and the trickler and also a powder dispenser. Fancy stuff, but I almost always use standard powder measures and the good old 10-10.
One suggestion, if you use RCBS get the micrometer adjusting stem for the powder measure, really works nicely and is repeatable (other brands have micrometers also). I have a measure and press on one bench and the 10-10 on another so that the scale doesn't get effected by movement.

Aug,
I have the Powder Pro but be advised as the manual says, turn it on about a half hour ahead of time to let it stabilize or it will off continually until it does. I have a little 150gr Scirocco I through on it from time to time just to make sure it's stayin in tune as I go. After about thirty minutes it behaves. I use a beam type if I'm need to do something quick. I use the dispensor to trickle only if I'm loading anything larger than 308 win also. I modified my Redding powder measurer to dump 120gr for the large stuff but I still trickle with the Powder Pro Disp. after cutting the drop a grain short or so. I'm not slow at reloading but I don't get going in a huge hurry either. Weighing bullets and cases etc, nothing comes close so for me it's the Powder Pro all the way. Mine sets right next to the Dillon 550 and it doesn't bother it, but I don't weigh with one hand and seat with the other either. I make sure the scale is stabilized before I put anything on it though.

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: Brent ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.