Need new "light" rifle?

My choice for medium long range is 284 Straight Win. (or 284 Imp (Shehane)). The reason I prefer this caliber because it has Lapua brass. (from 6.5x284)

The 7mm bullet (180gr Hybrid) is the highest B.C. of 7mm group.

my .257 Wby Back Country just got delivered, that was my choice for a relatively LR quarterish bore.

Plus it compliments my .30-378 nicely.

I am no expert by any means, just my decision (and I love Weatherbys)

Go for Ruger # 1 in 6,5 x 284 Norma, that's a light and competitive combo! gun)

If I was to go with a factory 6.5x284, I would have to go with the Savage Predator Hunter. Its a little heaveier than the Ruger, but the Predator Hunters are what I believe the most accurate rifle "factory" today. The all shoot......pretty much one hole groups. I do like the 6.5x284. I have spent a little time shooting one in the past. Very nice. The 280 AI really has caught my eye. Im gonna spend a little more time behind the rifle this weekend if the weather cooperates.

My choice for medium long range is 284 Straight Win. (or 284 Imp (Shehane)). The reason I prefer this caliber because it has Lapua brass. (from 6.5x284)

The 7mm bullet (180gr Hybrid) is the highest B.C. of 7mm group.

The 180 JLK is 60 points higher than the Berger.

I would go with a 7mmSAUM or a 284 based cartridge......keep it short so you can use a Short action.

A member on LRH recently PM's me on the 7mm Rem SAUM. So I did a few searches and looked into this caliber for the last few days. I had known very little about this SAUM, but from reading for the last few days, it appears to be real winner. Here is the best site I found on info comparison.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/7mm/

They do a pretty good explanation and comparisons on a few calibers. Can anyone else add to this and would this be a caliber of choice or one to consider after reading my original post?

Thanks

Last edited:
A member on LRH recently PM's me on the 7mm Rem SAUM. So I did a few searches and looked into this caliber for the last few days. I had known very little about this SAUM, but from reading for the last few days, it appears to be real winner. Here is the best site I found on info comparison.

7mm Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

They do a pretty good explanation and comparisons on a few calibers. Can anyone else add to this and would this be a caliber of choice or one to consider after reading my original post?

Thanks

Based on your OP and your needs, it screams 284 win. Short action on a Wyatt box will still let you have a top charge of H4831SC and a 168 VLD or ALR. For 700 yards or less, there's nothing in the lower 48 states it won't do with ease. Better barrel life and less recoil versus the 7mm short mags.

Buy a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm/08 and be done with it. I've searched for the right "light" rifle for a few years and you simply aren't going to get a 7lb scoped rifle that shoots any better than the Tikka, unless you're willing to spend a ton of dough. They are incredible shooters for their weight and price.

I've been there done that with Kimber Montanas and light Rem 700s. Tikka is what I'll buy from now on. I'd love to grab one in 243 Win for my Sis and let her fling 87gr VLDs or 80 TTSX at stuff.

This rifle was a dream to carry this season and shoots 168 VLDs and 162 A-Maxes really, really well. It wasn't much of a contest, but this buck caught one 168 at 220 yards and went down hard. I can't see buying many more hunting rifles after this 7 Rem.

I shoot a 280AI as my go to big game rifle, in my opinion it is the perfect all around cal . When I had it
Built I thought it would be the only custom that I would own so I looked at just about every cal on you list, I settled on the 280AI for the horse power but no need for a break. Not a fan of breaks on my hunting rifles. I shoot 168 berger right at 2700 fps wich is a little slow but the bug holes told me were
the velocity would be. Shoots great with little recoil.

Anything from a 240 Wby to a 7mm STW will work just fine, caliber choice is not as important as the rifle build...I have 240 Wby, 6.5 x 284, 7mm WSM, and 300 Dakota in lighter rifles that all do the trick.

Buy a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm/08 and be done with it. I've searched for the right "light" rifle for a few years and you simply aren't going to get a 7lb scoped rifle that shoots any better than the Tikka, unless you're willing to spend a ton of dough. They are incredible shooters for their weight and price.

I've been there done that with Kimber Montanas and light Rem 700s. Tikka is what I'll buy from now on.

While I cant agree or disagree on the 7mm Mag, or the Tikka, I can say that I've never been a huge fan of the 7mm mag by itself. No reason really, just thought there were better calibers with less powder. I may look into the 7mag and thanks for the info. As far as factory rifles go, and I'm sure the Tikka is an all out shooter, I don't think I could get myself to shoot anything other than a Savage now days. Again, I may just look into the Tikka in a 7mag. What does your scoped rifle weigh?

Thanks

Anything from a 240 Wby to a 7mm STW will work just fine, caliber choice is not as important as the rifle build...I have 240 Wby, 6.5 x 284, 7mm WSM, and 300 Dakota in lighter rifles that all do the trick.

7mm STW? The last time I shot an STW, I swore I would never shoot another one. My previous Ultra Mags didnt have near the recoil as the STW I shot a few years back. No thanks, but I get what your saying.

I'm really in a toss up here now. 280AI, 7SAUM, or the 284......if I choose the caliber and build now, it will be complete and load ready by next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.