need new howa rifle stock

7man

I have a howa in 338 win mag and it is not grouping well. The stock on it now is the hogue overmolded pillar bed with the howa name on it. I want to upgrade the stock and see if that improves my groups.
A b&c medalist or a hogue over molded full length bed stock is what I had in mind. I'm looking for someone's actual experience with either of these two stocks on a howa rifle. I want to know if you needed to bed the rifle after installation, or if it was truly a "drop in" installation. Just don't want to spend big money on a full length bed stock, only to spend more money to have it bedded. If I have to have it bedded anyway, I'll look at other options too.
Also, i really think the hogue on this rifle really does a nice job of negating recoil. If anyone had some input on how the medalist handled recoil that would be appreciated too.

I have Weatherby Vanguards, which are the same rifle.

I've bedded 2 into the exact same stock you have, at least by bedding the recoil lug. Both are accurate rifles. I have several that I have bedded into Medalist stocks too. While the fit is very close, I would not install one without bedding it and free floating the barrel. Every one that has received this treatment does very, very well.

Given the option I would choose the Medalist over the Hogue, and also bed it, especially given the caliber. You might get away with not bedding it if it were a .223, but not with a 338WM. It's not a bad one to do yourself if you think you have the skills and patience.

7, I have also bedded several Vanguards in the B & C medalist and Boyd's laminate stocks. Both needed some bedding as all stocks do. The Howa action was easy to bed compared to some other makes and all shot a heck of a lot better. Both stocks are very strong and well made. Never tried a Hogue, but must be good if Vette has them. Good luck

Never tried a Hogue, but must be good if Vette has them. Good luck

LOL.

One is a youth stock on my 243 Win, and buying a Hogue stock through Legacy Sports Inc (Howa distributor) is the best way to do it since Hogue doesn't sell them to anyone else. My daughter used it this year to shoot a nice doe.

The other is on a Vanguard 30-06 which I put together as an "all weather" rifle that I had Cerakoted. It really is a nice rifle that didn't cost a lot.

For a 338WM, though, I'd still go for a B&C.

I have the patience, but a lack of knowledge on bedding. Are there any good resources out there on how to bed a howa/vanguard? Do you bed just the lug area, or lug and tang, or the whole action when you bed them, do you tape only the front of the lug? I'm thinking I could use the existing stock for practice, but I'd like to sell the old stock towards a new one too...

The 'net is full of resources and how-to's on bedding, including looking through the Archives of this site. Personally, I bed the entire action.

Key points on a Howa -

1. Put 2-3 pieces of masking tape behind the rear of the action. I usually cover the curved portion at the back of the action. You want a small gap behind the action so that it if the action moves rearward at all the rear of the action does not act like a recoil lug.

2. Do not ever tape the bottom of the recoil lug on these rifles. Since the front action screw goes into the recoil lug you want it to have a solid surface.

I tape the front and sides of the recoil lug with 2-3 layers of tape.

You could practice with the stock you have, but you can't bed to the rubber surface of the Hogue, so don't try to bed the sides of the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.