need lr scope advice

coastbuck

OK here's my deal. I'm ready to step my game up and actually get into a long range scope. I've read a lot of reviews and specs on a lot of different scopes and its starting to get kind of hard to choose one lol. In the percerct world I would like to have a night force nxs 3x15x50 but I just think its out of my price range and the scope I have now is seriously holding me back. I've look at leupold mark 4's vortex, still on the fence about them. I just haven't had the chance to really map the glass out on them. But they got features I like about them. So any help would be appreciated a lot.

Rifle specs is a Remington 700 lr 300 win mag. This is a hunting rifle but also this is what I'm using to target shoot also and developing my lr skills. I've shot it to 700 yards several times and I'm ready to go further out and need a better scope. But I would like to stay in the mid power range like 3x15 or 4x14 or 16 something like that.

I check midway out and there not on sale. Trust me I would love to have it I just don't know if I can swing it.

Any opinions about any lr scope r welcome. Just looking for some peoples on what scopes they have and how they like them

Check out the Sightron S-III's. I like the LRMOA reticle on the 8-32x56 that lives on my 300RUM. They have lower power scopes in the S-III line that will do you well. Reasonable price, not heavy and track spot on....gun)....................................... :)

IMO, if you're reaching out beyond that 700 yard marker, a 15 power scope isn't really enough. Take a look at the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. I think it's competitively priced and fits the bill based on what you describe as intended use.

I think the Vortex Viper PST (second focal plane) compares favorably to many higher priced scopes. I have a 6X24. The glass is very nice, turret clicks are crisp, crosshairs thin (allows more precise aim at long range). You can shim it for a return to zero and you can get one for around $700. The glass is as good as Leupold's higher end scopes (I have a VX-6 which is nice but costs 2X more). My nephew has a Mark 4 - also very nice but not better that the Viper. You also get the lifetime warranty which I have not needed to use.

Check out the Sightron S-III's. I like the LRMOA reticle on the 8-32x56 that lives on my 300RUM. They have lower power scopes in the S-III line that will do you well. Reasonable price, not heavy and track spot on....gun)....................................... :)

Thanks I'll check them out. I never thought to look at the sightron. I always thought they were a high end scope I couldn't afford lol.

Fnw I will check Zeiss out. I didn't know they had scopes that targeted the lr market. I have a pair of there binos and they are very nice. Just out of curiosity why do u think 15x scope isn't enough? Just trying to learn. what I'm currently running is just 3x9x40 leupold. At 700 yards yeah I do feel a Lil under gun with it but I haven't had any problems reading hits and making adjustments. I'm just curious about your opinion on it trying to learn anything I can.

E101 I've look at the PST online it has great reviews. Just haven't had the chance to map the glass on it. Must be pretty good if your comparing to the mark 4's. I'll give it a look also and check out there reticles.

Thank you everybody so far with your opinions. Keep them coming

Regardless of the scope you select it'd be worth your time to watch this site:
Carl Zeiss
I bought a Zeiss Conquest from the a couple of years ago in what was apparently a year end or model year end sale at a VERY good price.

OK will do I know Zeiss is a solid optics company. Very very good glass. Been one of the best optic buys I've done actually. Thanks for the info.

Don't know if its too late but (not from first hand prospective) but I will be getting the SWFA HD SS. Supposedly they have fantastic glass and track perfect. I will be getting the 5x20x50 very soon. I am hopeful there will be a tax day sale. But I do know Black Friday they have a sale but that is far away.

If they don't have a tax day sale I will still pick one up and add another on the black Friday sale.

But check the reviews supposedly great recommendations.

Just another to check out. Best of luck

Brian

Don't know if its too late but (not from first hand prospective) but I will be getting the SWFA HD SS. Supposedly they have fantastic glass and track perfect. I will be getting the 5x20x50 very soon. I am hopeful there will be a tax day sale. But I do know Black Friday they have a sale but that is far away.

If they don't have a tax day sale I will still pick one up and add another on the black Friday sale.

But check the reviews supposedly great recommendations.

Just another to check out. Best of luck

Brian

Thanks for the post and diffently not to late. Just trying to get real world experience with these scopes from guys on this site who have them. I'll diffently look into sfwa optics. Always good took look at at as many companies as possible. Thank you for your input and giving me a nother option to research

My vote would go to the Sightron SIII, or Nightforce SHV. I have both and like them about the same. Glass is good and they both track perfect.

I like the reticle on the shv over the sightron. I think I've narrowed down between the nightforce shv and the vortex viper PST. Anybody have inputs between the two?

I would go with the SHV. I have a PST and the glass is much better on the SHV. The SHV also has a more forgiving eye box. With the PST at full power the sides start to wash out and you need to position your eye perfectly to get a full sight picture. Not the case with the SHV. My PST has been a good scope on my 300 RUM; but personally I won't buy another one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.