need lr scope advice

I would go with the SHV. I have a PST and the glass is much better on the SHV. The SHV also has a more forgiving eye box. With the PST at full power the sides start to wash out and you need to position your eye perfectly to get a full sight picture. Not the case with the SHV. My PST has been a good scope on my 300 RUM; but personally I won't buy another one.

Thanks Beeman that's what I was wondering about the PST. Didn't know if the glass would be good enough all the way zoomed in. How bad does the sides wash out on it and is it really that hard to bring it back to clarity? Also how do you like the zero stop? I know its not a true stop but its something I would like to have.

Figured nightforce would have better glass. Guess if I can save up for a shv I might as well save for the nxs. I just want something I can have to help continue my shooting skills and get me out further to practice greater distances. But sounds like a guy should just do it once and right the first time.

The zero stop shims on the PST work ok. Mine goes about half MOA past zero, but it lets you know when you are there. If you plan on dialing a lot and can afford a NXS go that route for sure.

I would really like to have the nxs. Like I said I don't know if I can afford it lol. Maybe one of these days. Guess I just need to decide on what to do. PST almost puts me half way there so either keep saving or scarfice some quality and start shooting further.

Personally I don't care for NF weight. They are a beautiful piece of work no doubt. If its a dedicated range gun, great, but guns get heavy fast in the field. Then there is the cost... For the difference I'd rather be half way to my next gun.

There are a few zeiss on that page for ~1k that will do everything you want it to do. I don't think 15x is underscoped esp if it is clear glass. Yes higher power is nice, but not necessary. For my money sightron moa reticle does everything I want it to do. I've out shot plenty of NF's on the fclass line.. No matter how good of scope you have you still have have to squeeze the trigger.

I just ordered a sightron big sky 6.5-20x50 moa for my 300wm build, should be here next week. I was looking very hard at huskemaw, vortex hlr, and leupolds.. and anything else anyone mentioned I considered, but none had the value, weight, and preferred reticle style the sightron offered. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying sightron is for everyone, but for my practical uses I think the nf's are overkill.. weight and price.

there is lots good used get you in a higher bracket scope.thats route i go bought new in box for much less$$ 14-16 good til you start passing 800 mark

Nightforce all the way. I have worked my way up the line and have been let down on just about all of them. My next scope is a nightforce. I have spent a little time with them and they are awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.