Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

For hunting purposes though, for the money, you can't beat Leupy.

I would have agreed with that for the most part 5-20 years ago, now they are worth about half what they want for one. They are not that great, average at best. Yes I have owned three and sold 1, 2nd is good scope, third is soon to be sold.

You might want to consider a trijicon. Right at the top end of your budget but I have been more impressed with it than any cheaper scope I have bought in the last few years. Sightrons are okay, but I like the trijicon better. It dails well, glass is good. I have not seen any reviews and do not know a thing abou tthe durability other than it has worked thus far. Just throwing another choice out there for you.

They did a review on here of the Trijicon scope. I think it was the 5-20?? It got extremely high remarks and the glass was said to be as good as ANYTHING out there. Wish I could find it. Maybe someone can help us out there.

I use a Bushnell Elite 6500 and really like it. I'm very picky about having a long eye relief because of past branding incidents, so when I researched a year ago it came down to Nightforce or Bushnell for me. Not in the same league, but I liked both and went with the Bushnell because it weighed less and cost less. The only other scopes I've compared it to personally out in the field are a Tasco World Class (crap obviously), various Leupold (worked good), and a Redfield that worked good. I like the Bushnell better than the others. Just my experience.

I would have agreed with that for the most part 5-20 years ago, now they are worth about half what they want for one. They are not that great, average at best. Yes I have owned three and sold 1, 2nd is good scope, third is soon to be sold.

Which one are you selling btw? I might be interested. Let me know the model and reticle please.

FWIW, I have heard that before from people. I don't agree once I have done objective analysis. Five years ago, the scopes were priced about the same (some were more), and they were made to the same or lesser standards as they are today. In fact most people say the new VX-Is are like a VX-II was ten years ago.

Now if you saying that there are more scopes made to a quality standard around Leupolds to choose from today vs. 10 years ago, I might agree with that. But even taking that into account, I still buy Leupy for hunting. Bench guns and target shooting may be another issue. Hard to beat S&B, NF F1, etc.

I can't believe anyone would try to talk bad about a Leupold. We all know that their average glass and sub par tracking performance is the best money could buy. We also know that if you discuss the previously mentioned issues then it must mean you have never owned/used a Leupold. They are most definitely not the best value for the money you spend on one. They do have a nice selection of reticles and if you are not going to be cranking on the turrets will probably serve you well. There are definitely better options, as already mentioned, for the price. In the end it is your money not mine. Do what you want with it.

This scope will be used for the following initially:

Mounted to a Savage action .243AI 1/8" twist 26" Shilen barrel.

We have a new 1000 yard range close to my house. I will begin shooting at distances familiar to me (100 - 300 yards) and as my long range skills develop work up to shooting at 1000+ yards. targets will be paper and steel.

It will also be used for:
Hunting Whitetail, javelina, coyotes and hogs from 100 - 400 yards.
In the future hunting game and varmints further as my long range skills increase.
It may also be used in conjunction with my .22-250 for a Pdog shoot in the future at distance.

Hope that helps and thanks for all the replies.

Sounds to me like 3 scopes or possibly 2. In order to do all that with one scope will require a compromise somewhere in your anticipated shooting repertoire. To do the hunting you have mentioned (coyotes, javelina) you might want a scope with a low enough setting for a quick or running shot. I personally think between 2 and 4. The only S III that fits here is the 3.5x10. This power range would allow you to easily hunt and shoot larger game out to 600 or more, but it is clearly not optimum for you longer range endeavors like target at 1000 ( although this can be done) but you will want more magnification. The scope in the Sightron line that fits here is the 6x24 which will serve nicely for the 1000 and the varmint but is a little high for the running or snap shots. Too bad they don't have a 4x16,,,that would be a decent compromise. So if you are really going to do all those things with one scope try and figure out which you will do most and make the compromise on the other shooting which you will do least...Good luck 30-338

Sounds to me like 3 scopes or possibly 2. In order to do all that with one scope will require a compromise somewhere in your anticipated shooting repertoire. To do the hunting you have mentioned (coyotes, javelina) you might want a scope with a low enough setting for a quick or running shot. I personally think between 2 and 4. The only S III that fits here is the 3.5x10. This power range would allow you to easily hunt and shoot larger game out to 600 or more, but it is clearly not optimum for you longer range endeavors like target at 1000 ( although this can be done) but you will want more magnification. The scope in the Sightron line that fits here is the 6x24 which will serve nicely for the 1000 and the varmint but is a little high for the running or snap shots. Too bad they don't have a 4x16,,,that would be a decent compromise. So if you are really going to do all those things with one scope try and figure out which you will do most and make the compromise on the other shooting which you will do least...Good luck 30-338

I think a 4.5-14 would fit well for what he is talking about.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.