Need Long Eye Relief... What scope???

LDHunter

I'm looking for a scope for long range hunting that doesn't give me a shorter eye relief when on the higher powers and am not sure where to find one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I feel that I need something with at least 4" of eye relief on it's higher settings.

The application is for long range deer and elk hunting with a hard kicking 8-9 pound all up rifle delivering a fair bit of recoil.

I've finally hit 55yrs old and although I'm in remarkable shape (for my age) I'm getting tired of humping heavy rifles up and down hills and mountains and through the piney woods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway... I thought my search would be fairly easy but last night I spent several hours looking at specs on the net and came up dry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'd prefer something of excellent quality such as NightForce, Zeiss, Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender etc.

Magnification should be 12x or greater at the top end.

I'd even consider a Leupold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif but only as a last resort. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Any ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

$bob$

OK... Finally found one... The Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 Mil-Dot Side Focus unit has a constant eye relief of 4.6".

The website didn't mention whether or not it was constant eye relief so I emailed and just got my response. The answer was yes it retains constant eye relief at any magnification. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bushnell New 6-24x40 Mil-Dot Side Focus Specs

$bob$

LDHunter , I just took delivery of my first Nightforce scope , a 3.5-15x50 , i have a Leupold 4.5-14x50 to compare it with which should be pretty much apples to apples .
I always found the Luepy to be a bit lacking , the eye relief on 14(3.6in) was alway adequate in the fact that i never got eyebrowed but it always had me creeping up the stock where shooting became uncomfortable , the Nightforce scope has a eye relief of 3.9inch on 15 power which doesn't have me creeping up the stock and is plenty to keep my eyebrow safe . I should add too that the nightforce optics are superb and this scope just has that feel about it that it will take a heap of pounding and wont fail . My leupy is a great scope , the Nightforce is just better .

After a side by side comparison of the 4.5-14x50 Leup MK4 and the 3.5-15x50 NF NXS and the clear winner was the NF in every department. The most immediatly noticable advantage the NF had was the increase in eye relief, it was very easily noticable. Other than that most everything on the NF was head and shoulders above the leup, clarity, repeatability in knobs, ligh gathering, etc. They are one hell of a scope.

If you have any questions on them call 1-800-522-3314 and ask for Steve or BJ or email me.

take it easy
steve

Thanks guys... I checked out the Nighforce scopes at Shot Show and was VERY impressed... I imagine that I'll get one soon... It happened that I already had one of the Bushnell scopes mentioned above and I hadn't even taken it out of the plastic yet so for now it will end up on my long range rifle.

I'm starting to watch the classified ads for my first Nighforce so should end up with one in the next few months. I assume that their warranty extends to subsequent owners, rather than just the first?

$bob$

Yes, NF guarantee does extend to subsequent owners.
I called NF to register one I purchased 2nd hand and was told don't worry, if there is a problem just send it in and it will be taken care of.

Good to know.

Gary

US Optics has 3.5 inches and offers 4" as an upgrade. A little more money than a Night
Force but a lot more of a custom scope. Remember eye relief is a trade off with field
of view.

The new Leica scopes have 4" of eye-relief through out the power range. Lots of stgraight tube to assist in ease of mounting. Cameraland has some great prices and different reticle options. NJS

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.