Need load data fot 150 gr hornady sst 300 win mag

oldfamily

Does anyone have a load for a 300 Win mag using the 150 grain sst bullet. How does this bullet hold up on game? Will be using it on whitetails next month. Thanks

I used to use 77 gr IMR 4831 with the 150 Nosler BT and NP.

The NPs performed flawlessly, but the impact velocities were too high for the NBTs to stay together. The NBTs would liquify the lungs, but there would only be blood where I shot the deer with infrequent drops for a trail. On the upside, they never went far.

There will be 2 explosions.....one when the powder ignites and the 2nd when the bullet hits the deer. That bullet will be a mini handgrenade at win mag speeds.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a load for a 300 Win mag using the 150 grain sst bullet. How does this bullet hold up on game? Will be using it on whitetails next month. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

We tried them on several Whitetails out of the Win Mag and an 06'. Way too explosive out of both. Sometimes the bullet wouldn't make it to the off side, it'd make a pretty good size entrance and the shrapnel pieces would be all in the internals and that's just on rib hits!! No blood trail at all on the deer w/ no exits.

I figured they would hold at the 06' speeds but, they didn't. I shot a 10pt at 100 yards broad side behind the shoulder and only one tiny piece of the bullet exited, I mean tiny and no blood was found I luckily stumbled onto him.

Shot a couple and got big exits and lots of blood but, they were just too erratic from one deer to the next. Even shot one buck up close w/ the 06' behind the shoulder and had a pretty big exit but, the darn thing ran at least 150-175 yards through some brush and saw briars I really didn't care to drag that sob out of.(Had to find some Gatorade quick after that battle).

Lost one w/ the 300 in a swamp, no blood at all on the grass above the water.

I was very displeased w/ the bullets to say the least, the NBTs have held up much much better for me.

They were accurate out of 3 of the 4 rifles I tried them in. In the 300 Win I was mostly using 66 grains of H4895 for 3200-3300 fps. IMR 4350 worked well too in the 300. In the 06' 49 grains of H4895 worked well for 2950 fps MV.

Did witness a nice 8pt last season w/ a 165 SST out of a 308 win, it did well. IMO the 165s w/ the extra weight and lower MV of the 308 were just what this bullet was made for.

Good Luck.

Reloader

oldfamily,

72 grains of IMR4350 with 215M primers. Have had good luck with them just don't aim for the shoulder. Only one the entrance hole to worry about.

I let my nephews shoot my Custom 300 win mag and I load 150 grain SST 30 thou off the lands with winchester large rifle primers 61.2 grains of imr 4895 at 3150 fps and the rifle with muzzle brake and it weighs 11 pounds barely kicks harder then my 22 lol well maybe a bit more but defenitly the least recoil I've ever felt from a rifle. And they shot a 300 pound black bear at 120 yards dropped in its tracks. We recovered bullet under the hide on far side of impact and it was perfectly mushroomed and in tact they also killed a three point mule deer at 100 yards same result dropped on impact. So I see all these other guys not liking the SST bullets but I love them. I did some research on the SST bullets and with that research and my experience you need to keep the impact velocity at 2900 fps and slower and they work perfectly. With that load data I posted at 100 yards the velocity is down to 2880 fps so its in the sweet spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.